The 5 Airlines That Make the Most in Fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Artic...irlines-That-Make-the-Most-in-Fees.aspx#page1

If you’re an air traveler, you need advanced web-sleuthing skills to figure out how much it will actually cost you to fly these days. New airline fees have sprouted up everywhere, and you can track them down if you find the right page on your carrier’s website.
    Want to watch an inflight movie? That’ll be $6 on Delta. How about a pillow and a blanket? You’ll have to buy the set for 7 bucks on JetBlue. Want to sit next to your child? On many airlines, that will be $25 extra to snag a coveted aisle or window seat next to them. Even the use of the overhead bin to stow the bag you didn’t check in an effort to save money will cost you $20 to $45 on Spirit Air.

Read More: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Artic...irlines-That-Make-the-Most-in-Fees.aspx#page1

uggboy likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be interesting to see the revenue and profit per customer numbers, too, and how they changed over time.

And then maybe compare that to Apple where nobody seems to mind paying $400 for a new iPhone every two years and $80/month in "fees" for using it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should have been ranked by average per passenger ... US Airways would be #1, not #4.

In any case, I'd still rather fly a legacy than WN. Meals and movies aren't even an option on WN, at least I have the choice to pay for them on other airlines.

Actually, flew ATL-LAX yesterday on DL. Had free live TV (got to watch ESPN and Comedy Central), had 2 rounds of Biscoffs/drinks, and paid $4.80 for a filling snack box. No way I'd take that flight on WN/FL.

Only if they compare it to how much fares have increased compared to inflation.

I paid $200 for an iPhone more than 2 years ago and I pay $70/month for "service" (which even Blackberry/Android users have to pay for) :eek:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, I was just throwing it out as an example. Maybe numbers were to high, but the point is that most people don't blink when they see those costs and fees and Apple's record revenues and profits.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's also the psychology that a lot of the things that are charged a la carte on airlines today used to be free (bags, meals, legroom, etc.). Meanwhile, smartphones are evolving to do things we didn't imagine possible 5 years ago.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall ever having more legroom on the mainline carriers in coach. Maybe my memory is bad or it was before I was flying. The carriers with worst leg room these days are the "cheap" carriers (Spirit, Allegiant, various charter airlines), in my experience.