The 2011 Grammies - The best and the worst things about it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by diver90, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best:

I don't think I saw Kanye West at all
    Mick Jagger knows how to work a crowd....

Worst:

Arcade Fire! Arcade Fire? 'Splain it to me pls.
    Bob Dylan

Discuss...

2. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just kept telling myself they're not my musicals genre, but apparently for those who do like that genre, they are awesome. :confused:

I thought Lady GaGa arriving on the red carpet in her egg was a low point. I mean, her being carried in the egg wasnt the worst part, it was the spokesmodel speaking for her/about her that was really really lame. "Shes in the womb now, she's going to be born on stage!" uh, huh. Lame. And an egg is not a womb. I give her points for trying to be different, but I don't think she really pulled it off. She should have worn a great dress and done the red carpet walk, or not, come in the back way or something if she didn't want to be seen before her performance. I think she could have done better (not her performance, the egg arrival concept)

3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Lady Madonna.....Errrr, I mean Lady Gaga. Tunes are pretty catchy albeit very derivative.

4. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I can't explain Arcade Fire either. Just another band that sounds the same as a hundred other bands.

I agree with your assessment of everything else, BUT, I don't care how bad Bob Dylan sounds, I'll still listen to him and respect him. IMO, he's the best songwriter of all time and has 100 times the talent of most of the performers winning the grammys.

5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 19 year old son said, "Wow, I thought Bob Dylan was dead!"

Chamonix likes this.
  6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that he is a fabulous songwriter but the performance at the Grammies was [​IMG]. Of course my opinion is only valid in my own head.

7. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha - I like that line! So true (for all of us).

8. I read a tweet earlier that said Bob Dylan has become Fran Lebowitz

9. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was stuck in EWR so I missed it all, but my friends posted very bad things about CeeLo on Facebook.

10. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought Ceelo was clearly recycling (ripping off?) Elton John, but the gossip rags all said he was trying to be a "muppet". Uh, huh. Yeah. Elton in the duck suit, add muppet backup singers. Gwyneth was a nice addition, too.

11. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't watch the Grammy's... and the constant stream of postings on my Facebook news feed pretty much confirmed to me that to have done so would have been a waste of my evening.

I couldn't tell you a single song that Arcade Fire sings. I could swear that song that won best song has been out a couple of years. The only performance would have interested me might have been Mumford & Sons... but performing on the Grammys means they are probably too mainstream for me now. [​IMG]

12. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bob Dylan hasn't sounded good in a long time. Listen to the classics, don't try to see him live.