The $100 Carry On.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LarryInNYC, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cost for a carry-on to go up to $100.

That's the cost for carrying the bag onto the aircraft, not how much the bag cost in the store.

This is Spirit's new policy for carry-ons when you pay the fee at the gate. If you pay at the kiosk while checking in, the cost remains a "reasonable" $45.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/05/02/business/ap-us-spirit-airlines-fee-hike.html?

No word on whether dying vets will have to pay more or less to check their bags.

iolaire and perryplatypus like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always staying classy... gotta love Spirit. :)

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least they advertise their fees publicly.

5. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's insane! I guess they are making up for all the free tickets they are giving away this month.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just think of the shock some people will have when they show up at the gate with a couple of carry-ons.

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit = The Ryanair of the other side of the pond:)

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they're competing for the title of most fees charged.

At this point it's a close race :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this makes Ryanair look so much better. At least they're better with carry on sizes (though not with weight).

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I might try hang out at Spirit gates and sell plastic garbage bags for $10 a piece + rollaboard trade-in. Stuff that fits under the seat travels free.

yaychemistry, viguera and LarryInNYC like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think this is fair. I see tons of people with overstuffed carry-ons. There are even people who bring a carry-on but plan on the plane being full so they can gate-check for free. If the only way to bring your bag for free is to put it under the seat, then it better fit under the seat without creating a scene. Otherwise, you get to pay $100 for trying to cheat the system. And it's the system these people signed up for in exchange for their dirt-cheap fares.

But like I said, at least Spirit publicizes the fees. Most legacy carriers enjoy hiding them in fine print or creating giant matrices that depend on date, fare class, elite status, etc. Even as a 1K (but it's my first year!) I still reflexively assume any conversation with an agent is going to end with me handing over my credit card.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take those bags and give them to Mr. Pickels so he can check them, hope they get lost, and claim compensation from United. I think we got ourselves a good business model here. :D

13. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is crazy to me, I can only imagine how surprised people may be if they didn't read about it.

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add a few more bucks to that $100 fee and you have enough for fare to fly another airline. :rolleyes:

15. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nothing surprises me with Spirit-in some cases it costs more for the bag than for you.......
    Leave it to Ben Baldanza to do something crazy like this-it's a wonder they're still in business, but nobody complains-and they make money. How sad is that?

16. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    $100 bag fees = free publicity for Spirit
    How many morning shows today had a spot on the fee and Spirit Airlines (and showed footage of a Spirit airplane, or other corporate logos). You're certainly going to remember their name.

17. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I'm going to remember not to fly Spirit no matter what.

viguera and yaychemistry like this.
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I think you have a point, but there comes a time when not all free publicity is good publicity...

If all you hear about Spirit is that they keep tacking on fees to their fares, or if the story on the news today is how your carry-on bag costs $45 each way, you're going to remember that, rather than just their name.

I said it before, Spirit has such a ridiculous number of fees and restrictions on their fares that even people who are bad at math would have a hard time thinking that flying with them is a good deal.

As an example...

LGA-FLL first weekend of June. Taking out all considerations for departure times, the absolutely lowest price even if you're a member of their "$9 club" is $217.

Even if you don't pick a seat (which is $18-25) and end up on 38B and only have one carry-on ($20 fee each way -- if you're in their $9 club) you're at $257.

In the meantime if you look around at Delta or Jetblue you're looking at about the same price and you don't have to pay for your carry-on or to pick a seat.

yaychemistry likes this.
  19. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really think in light of this newest "enhancement" that Spirit should have a new slogan:

"Now, That's the Spirit!"™