The 10 Worst Hotels and Motels in America

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by GoodBoy, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. By BLAIRE BRIODY, The Fiscal Times
    August 10, 2012

ost Americans aren’t looking for much when sleeping away from home: cleanliness, a comfortable bed, and a few amenities to make them feel pampered. But unfortunately, a handful of hotel chains have a tough time satisfying even the simplest requests. Two surveys have recently come out about the quality of stays in America’s hotels, one in the July issue of Consumer Reports, and the other published on July 25 by J.D. Power & Associates, and many national chains fell well below par. At some locations, instead of clean rooms, guests have reported cockroaches and bed bugs, stains on the sheets, and strange odors they couldn’t identify.
    PHOTO GALLERY: Click Here to See the 10 Worst Hotels in America
    The Fiscal TimesFREE Newsletter

Though both surveys found that, overall, customers have become happier with their hotel experience in recent years – likely due to the fact that many chains have updated their rooms, added pools, and included more services like breakfast options, laundry facilities, and workout rooms – many chains nevertheless failed to improve customer satisfaction. In the Consumer Reports survey, one-fourth of respondents had at least one complaint, the most common being uncomfortable beds, noise, unsatisfactory heating or air conditioning, and décor.
    The cost of a hotel stay has also risen in recent years. One night’s stay is expected to increase to an average of $107 this summer, up 5 percent from last year, and close to the peak of $108 in 2008. Despite rising prices, a few hotels have maintained value with customer satisfaction. Microtel Inn & Suites, for example, received top scores in the Consumer Reports survey and was near the top in the J.D. Power survey.

sobore, uggboy and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

No surprises here... I remember US Airways put me up at a Ramada in CLT one of the grossest places I've ever stayed.
    sobore and uggboy like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Not really informative. The article lists Chains rather than individual hotels.

Whenever I am on a road trip, I know what to expect when staying at Super 8, Clarion, or America's Best. Usually it is cheap, and relatively clean. Not really looking for customer service, room service, or a bellman to take my bags to the room. As long as the sheets on the bed look like they have been washed, the shower doesn't have someone else already there (either dead or alive) and the TV and door locks work, I am okay.
    GoodBoy likes this.
  4. :p:D
    Mapsmith likes this.