The 10 Things The TSA Won't Tell You

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Captain Oveur, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the list, but the added commentary is in the article.

1. We still have some room to grow
    2. We spend before we finish the research
    3. We Hate pat-downs as much as you do
    4. ....and there's still debate on whether our scanners are safe
    5. We don't always screen cargo
    6. Our employees have some complaints
    7. Airport staff get a pass on security
    8. Private security could be the future
    9. We embrace science.....fiction
    10. Checked bags are easy marks

10 more they didn't list:
    1. A 70% failure rate in detecting prohibited items is considered good.
    2. They still use the same x-ray machines that the private screeners used pre-9/11.
    3. The TSA has changed their uniforms more times than they have updated their x-ray machines.
    4. The reason you have to take your laptop out is to address shortcomings on the x-ray machines.
    5. An annual turnover rate of at least 25%.
    6. More screeners have been arrested than terrorists they have caught.
    7. If a TSA screener brings a gun to work, he will not get fired
    8. The GAO has said the TSA has cooked the books
    9. Those body scanners? Slipping guns past those is no problem.
    10.. The TSA spends at least $200 million a year on a "Behavior Detection Program," but has not caught a single terrorist..

2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting article (first 10), but I like your additions more! #9 is just scary....

DonV.Smith and N965VJ like this.
  3. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still want to know why the new body scanners can't seem to detect a gun... but I'm totally screwed if I leave a tissue or piece of paper in my pocket!??!

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Careful now, you might get put on their hit list for posting too many dark secrets. :eek: As the announcer says: "Inappropriate comments about security may lead to your arrest."

Also, I love the end of the article where it says 200 employees have been fired for stealing, which is, thank goodness, only "0.5 percent of their workforce." So, you can line up the 200 screeners you'll find at a major airport, and one of them is a thief. One thief for every airport. Glad we can all rest easier.

5. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was subjected to a feel-up for leaving a hair tie in my pocket and then lectured about how I should have taken it out for it to go through the xray. Hair ties are very dangerous objects.

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well gee, you think? And just to clarify, I'm not saying the body scanners are effective, but that screeners not paying attention renders them completely and utterly ineffective. There is some level of effectiveness to these machines, but the benefits do not outweigh the costs, imo.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming back from CDG, I was asked if I had any potentially dangerous items in my belongings. I had to be honest and say I had a pen. They didn't think it was very funny, but then I've never found the French to have much of a sense of humor.

8. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe if we just passed through "old fashion" metal detectors then security could be pre-occupied and we wouldn't have folks going through full body scanners..!? :rolleyes:

Chimpy likes this.
  9. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Security used to ask if I had any electronics with me. They were never very happy with my answer when I ticked everything off. I often have two cell phones, a laptop, chargers for each of those, an iPod, noise canceling headphones, a bluetooth speaker, a digital watch, etc. What they really wanted was my one inch rounded blade nosehair scissors. :rolleyes:

DonV.Smith and jmrich1432 like this.
  10. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    They hate me too; I typically travel with 2 cell phones and two laptops, PSP, additional MP3 player, external HDs, etc etc etc :D:eek:

Chimpy likes this.
  11. icorproadie
    Original Member

icorproadie Silver Member

Status Points:
    hehe, two pat downs in three weeks!

12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew ATL-STR Monday night - I cleared security in ATL with a friend who was traveling to FCO...they took her regular sized soap she said she thought was in her checked baggage, but not the large tube of toothpaste she found after we went to the E Concourse...go figure..:confused:

DonV.Smith likes this.
  13. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's bizarre. I traveled for 5 months with a large tube of toothpaste, same gates & guards. One of the times I replaced with a new tube they took it (technically, they offered to let me out of line to go check my bag). I've been using 4oz tubes since, which is apparently questionable at some airports... :rolleyes:

Chimpy likes this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSA never ceases to amaze me in their inconsistencies.

FetePerfection, DonV.Smith and goalie like this.
  15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember, it's all about An Abundance of Caution® ;)

DonV.Smith likes this.
  16. Abundance of mouth-breathing idiocy is more like it.

Oh, and what announcer was it that said "Inappropriate comments about security may lead to your arrest?" And on what legal grounds?

DonV.Smith and FetePerfection like this.
  17. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome CelticWhisper - nice to see you again!

DonV.Smith likes this.
  18. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently freedom of speech does not apply WRT the TSA...:D...

DonV.Smith likes this.
  19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You may not like it, but you still can't yell "fire!" in a crowded theater.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  20. That much is certain, but it's due to the fact that doing so can directly lead to the injury or death of others. I would liken it to yelling "bomb!" in the security line.

However, what about something like opting out, getting a patdown, and then saying to the screener "I hope you're satisfied, you fascist waste of life." Or commenting out loud about the stupidity of TSA security theatre.

They're not going to cause a panic, just hurt feelings on the part of the TSA (which TSA deserves).

21. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Then I would suggest (in the most sincerest of ways) reading the linked post that starts off this thread (especially points 3 and 6), understand the mindset of a screener in the first place. I have seen a few people make the kind of comments you do. Believe me, in the long run they don't make anything better and only make you look like the kind of person people cross the street to avoid.

Also offered sincerely: channel your frustration into more meaningful ways that would get the TSA to shape up. Calling people fascists only increase the level of anxiety and make it more stressful for other passengers.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  22. The thing is, I've tried that. I've written my representatives. Numerous times. The response was silence. Rep. Chaffetz from UT seemed geared up to nail TSA to the wall and now it looks like that fizzled.

Filing complaints with TSA gets you ignored or the statistics twisted by that worthless propagandist Blogger Bob to make TSA look good.

There's no guarantee a police officer will be on the traveler's side if they request intervention during screening.

From where I'm standing it looks like our only option is to verbally abuse the front-line TSOs themselves without relenting until they're so depressed they either quit or kill themselves. Maybe a nationwide rash of TSO suicides will shock TSA into reconsidering its methods.

I mean, if there's anything else to be done I'm all ears. Kirk and Durbin don't seem to give a batman, though, and most other congresspeople will only respond to citizens from their states.

I could petition the IL general assembly to try to get a bill under way similar to TX's, but that only addresses one state.

I don't know what else to do. I refuse to break the law to accomplish my ends, so violence against TSA or TSOs is right out. What's left? For someone who insists on effecting change and, furthermore, insists on doing so lawfully...what can I do?

I guess running for office myself is the next step, but where and how would I even begin? I fix computers for a living, I know jack about politics.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think you have to understand that just because that you (and me too, quite frankly), it's not going to happen. Face it, the TSA has popular public opinion on its side.

I genuinely think better days are coming. However, I am not sure whether if it will be because the TSA will put egg on its face (again) one too many times OR they will execute that rumored trusted traveler program that might get us frequent fliers off their backs. I really don't know.

You've done what you can. I think all that could be done is to keep on keeping on. Go ahead and write your Congresscritters more, I don't think that will hurt.

BUT, I hope you're not writing them in the "worthless propagandist" and encouraging verbal abuse kind of tone in your letters. Because if I received a letter (or letters) in that tone, I definitely would not respond. Just a suggestion.

Hang in there....you're not the only one. We're in the minority, but these kinds of things take time.

DonV.Smith likes this.