That'll be $2,000 extra for your aisle seat, Mr. Nader

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    canucklehead and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh geez....Nader at it again....

goalie, canucklehead and rwoman like this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just for laughs, I thought I would check on BDL-DFW on Feb 11th. First flight (#1525) had an aisle seat available for $29! :rolleyes:

The second flight (357) looked full, but their First was not and one way was $1685, so perhaps the Nader's agent could have bought a mixed cabin RT (or 2 o/w) and saved money, as well as putting Nader in First. I am sure there are other permutations to save money - like the instant upgrade to First price of $1231, but clearly this "Consumer Advocate" is not so knowledgeable! :confused:

viguera and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    He needs a new TA. :)

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was going to say that. 30 yrs of experience vs 1 yr on Milepoint and look who found a better option! :p

viguera, rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I'm all for consumer protection and all that, but you can't protect people from being uninformed.

Blue Skye, canucklehead and rwoman like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course the government is paying $1600ish for me to have a flexible ticket LHR-STR-LHR on BA vice the $250 restricted/non-refundable ticket I could purchase. :)

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Astonishing," said Magner, who has booked airline seats for Nader for 30 years. "When I called American Airlines, after I finally got them on the
    phone
    , they were absolutely no help."

Astonishing! This guy calls himself a TA!

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately a terrible piece of journalism- not explaining the situation at all in a fair way to AA or anyone else.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - of course, a microcosm often makes for spectacular headlines...:rolleyes:

canucklehead likes this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    For more entertainment, read the comments. I do appreciate the person who insists that it is better to take the train! :eek: I guess reading the article, especially the part about Nader NOT having a flexibility in his schedule went WHOOOSH! :rolleyes:

<and, apparently the Pony Express makes several stops along the way!:p>

Blue Skye, autolycus and rwoman like this.
  12. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    As soon as an article describes something like this as an "ordeal", I do a mental "oh, brother" and the whine detector blares in my noggin. Fortunately, they got this out of the way even before the byline!

LETTERBOY, TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, he HAD to fly non-stop because of his schedule, rendering DL/UA/etc. as non-options, but darned if a high-speed train wouldn't have done the trick perfectly.

Just for the sake of providing a rough idea of what high-speed rail would look like for that trip... It's about 1600-1700 miles by land between Hartford, CT and Dallas, TX. I came to that number using google maps to provide a distance estimate based on driving (1669 miles from city center to city center). Based on the most commonly suggested routes for high-speed rail, the distance would actually be much further since the route would likely go through Charlotte, NC (which adds at least another hundred miles). But being generous to rail, we'll say 1600 miles.
    Now, the train... the fastest regularly-scheduled, long-distance train service in the world is the French TGV service running from Paris to Strasbourg at a maximum (not average) speed of ~320 km/hr, or 199 mph. However, the current projections for high-speed rail in the US are for a top speed of just 125 mph. So... at the maximum speed for any long-distance train in service in the world, it would take at least 8 hours to go from Hartford, CT to Dallas, TX. That's with NO STOPS and maintaining the absolute maximum speed the entire route, which I'm sure isn't possible to do safely, because the route could never actually be a straight line. With the maximum speed being discussed in the US, it'd take at least 12 hours, 48 minutes, again with no stops.

Yeah, that strikes me as a totally valid competitor to American Airlines' non-stop route or even to AA connecting at ORD, JFK, etc., DL, UA/CO, etc. :eek: Hell, you could take AMTRAK from Hartford to New York and catch a flight from there and still easily beat even a faster-than-possible train trip the whole distance.

JNB280, legalalien, rwoman and 2 others like this.