That annoying Neverlost system

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been a fan of those hardwired Neverlost systems. The new (?) tablet style version is even more annoying than the older ones. Bright and distracting at night, noisy (stupid welcome greeting every time you start the car, and what's with that camera?

ForumRunner_20141109_091611.png

Is there a way to add a preference to my Gold profile to request a car without the system?

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you could use a paper map and turn off the Neverlost. (A 45 cal bullet will silence it, but the rental car company may not see it as normal wear and tear)

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The thing doesn't have an off button. Turning down the volume doesn't mute the loud "Hertz" jingle when the car is turned on, and turning down the screen brightness also has very limited effect.

As for paper maps... well, it's almost 2015, and I still like paper maps and use them, often in combination with my phone's nav app.

flyforawg and icurhere2 like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there are different models --- certainly the ones I've been stuck with have had power buttons (images I found on web below). They still have a tendency to turn on when the vehicle is started but I can and do immediately turn them off. I often travel with my own GPS anyhow, which I like far better than their (N)everlost system.
    nl1.png nl2.jpeg

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, the older ones tend to have power buttons. Couldn't find one on the model shown above, and my wife actually asked the Hertz agent at the exit gate and she confirmed that there isn't one.

iolaire likes this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The power button on the newer squarish one shown is on the lower left, the circle with the | inside. On the older one it's labeled PWR.

7. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no power button on the new tablet Neverlost. See the OP's picture for the newest model. I don't get them very often because who needs Neverlost in the age of the smartphone? But when the car I rent has it anyway, I find them annoying for that very reason: they don't turn off

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly right.

I submitted my question about a notation in my profile to Hertz Customer Service. Not terribly optimistic (that it's possible *or* that they actually understand what I am talking about), but let's see...

icurhere2 likes this.
  9. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UI is just dreadful.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only UI I want is the off button.

11. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently rented a Hertz car in Italy and it had built in GPS from the car manufacturer. I would hope gets the message every where and gives up on never lost. Hertz Italia is a licensee and probably could care less about never lost as a revenue tool.

12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chewing gum takes care of the camera problem.

13. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have NeverLost and OK Google running at the same time. They seldom interrupt one another, though they sometimes argue.