Thanks Be To Lucky For Saving Mileage Plus!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Sep 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is my view that Lucky’s releasing the proposed Mileage Plus scheme with horrid new conditions and a revenue requirement has been beneficial to all United elite flyers. This proposal unleashed a hell storm opposition over the various internet discussion sites and blogs, and United did comprehend how pissed off people were at their plans. The best part is that United did not implement the ridiculous revenue requirements to earn elite status and kept the Million Miler program as earning Star Gold. There definitely are unpleasant changes and benefit reductions to the Mileage Plus program, but they are keeping most of the program intact. A major thank you to Lucky for sharing this information with us, as it was of major assistance in United halting their drastic devaluation, debasement, and destruction of the Mileage Plus program. I hope Lucky enjoys a lifetime of Diet Cokes with limes on numerous future flights and scores stacks of bump vouchers.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I realize that I'm in the minority here, but I think that the re-ordering of upgrade priority (General member on a T fare spending miles trumps a 1K on an H fare using UDU) is a bigger deal than minimum revenue thresholds would have been. So I wouldn't quite call Mileage Plus 'saved' ;)

Tom, Pegasus, JLSocks and 5 others like this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with both posts above. Basically it could have been worse BUT I still think it is not good and will never be close to the MP program I have enjoyed for many years.

This last year I have seen advanced NC/NF inventory dry up completely on the routes I fly. The UG’s at the gate have dried up the past two months on top of that. With the new program having fare and paid UG superseding my 1K instruments/status, I will be riding a lot in the back.

So for all those that are happy with the changes, I wish you the best.

John

JLSocks and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The revenue qualification method was a non-issue apart from potentially flooding the upper levels with people that don't fly that much.

IDGflygirl and MSPeconomist like this.
  5. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on your perspective. If I'm a 1K via mileage running, I'm relieved there's no revenue requirement. If I'm a 1P or 2P willing to pay to upgrade, I'm delighted. If I'm a GS year-in and year-out, I'm upset at the bulging of my ranks via 4MM lifetime GS status-ers. So I think to declare MP "saved" (or "ruined", for that matter) is completely subjective and not really a useful conversation.

Personally, I'm just another 1K, slogging away on business trips, never mileage running. For me, the program changes are both down (lower priority for UDUs) and up (I can give my wife 1K status when I hit 1MM). Comme ci, comme ça.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not in the minority ;) as I still think status on an u/g waitlist should still be the first criteria.

FriendlySkies and ande777emt like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto for declaring that any one person was responsible for said supposed saving or ruining.

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gary, thanks for posting a great summary of the program changes on your blog. I do not like the changes towards a more transactional nature of the Mileage Plus program either. A general member should NOT trump a 1K for an upgrade ever. The changes and downgrades to the program are not great either, especially 2Ps ability to select E+ seats only 24 hours before a flight and the reduction in bonus RDMs earned by 1Ps and Premier Platinums. However, the changes to the program are not as terrible as were outlined in the proposal published by Lucky. I am thrilled that there is no revenue requirement for status which would have given the shaft to international travelers. Imagine buying a Z fare to Europe for $2500 and having only the base fare of $1500 count towards the revenue spend.

@EX-LAX, I am very happy for you to have successful pre booked mileage runs next year which will not be in vain.
    Lucky is highly coveted in the travel and blogging world, and his posts and information were extremely influential in stopping the disastrous proposed changes to the Mileage Plus program. It would be nice for you to express gratitude for Lucky's information and efforts at ensuring a good Mileage Plus program.

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else think United played lucky... and us??

UA has always floated ideas on Flyertalk. I had a friend who worked in marketing at WHQ. He told me UA studied our reactions, then made their adjustments accordingly. Something to do with what they could get away with. I'm still waiting to read the We heard from our best customers e mail (with modifications).

SC Flier, jupper, Pegasus and 3 others like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would express gratitude if I thought it was deserved. I'm pretty sure I was clear in what I wrote before: blaming or crediting any one person for ruining or saving the program is a claim that goes way beyond what I think is reasonable or appropriate.

estnet, harvson3 and sdm1130 like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd thank him for posting his blog post ("saving: Mileage Plus, if it really happened and if that were my interpretation of the events, would be thanks to the community response). Alas, he's so rarely here... I am not sure he'd even see it :-(

http://milepoint.com/forums/members/lucky.286/

Lucky was last seen: Sep 8, 2011

12. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you have some evidence to explain this...

Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
    Homer: Oh, how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you? [Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
    Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock. [Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]
    ;)

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh please... this whole post is full of :rolleyes:... ONE PERSON did not save the MileagePlus Program...

A collective of United and Continental's Frequent Fliers sent in tons of complaints, and the OP is thanking one person? That seems rather selfish and shows me how out of touch with reality you are...

JLSocks and kw335 like this.
  14. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that diminishing award inventory, especially premium awards, is the biggest concern.

15. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Such an over-the-top comment doesn't help your credibility.

16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, those who went nuclear reacting to rumors played themselves.

17. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about you all, but if I was told an "insider's info" (or in this case, rumor), I'd keep it to myself instead of broadcasting it all over the internet. Even more so that the said rumor is now proven to be incorrect.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Lucky is a good guy and very bright light on the airline industry, and in some ways, I do not doubt that UA saw the opinions and thought about the consequences of major changes, even if it was not the ones listed in Lucky's blog.

Having said that, at SMD3 Scott said the list posted was an early version, more like a laundry list (or everything and the kitchen sink) of changes, which was pared down over time, so what was probably in discussion when Lucky blogged may not have been the most current changes UA was considering -- we will probably never know.

In addition to the changes to 1K priority in the upgrade list, the 1P and 2Ps really got hit hard (and the bennies to 1MMers), so it wasn't a WIN in my estimation for MileagePlus fans (in fact, the majority of members probably saw a loss in their benefits as 1Kers are a small minority).

Still, the bloggers, incl Lucky, should get our thanks for bringing the events of the airline industry to light, as it will affect our travel habits and give airlines a sense of what makes frequent travellers tick (i.e., which benefits are most important)

chitownflyer likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Am I the "you" being referenced here? :confused:

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering UDU is only about a year old, readjusting priorities for upgrading is a fair trade-off. Why should UA not make some additional revenue (cash or miles or certs) for domestic upgrades before releasing these seats to elites? I realize these upgrades have come to be considered an entitlement of elitedom, but UA is still in the business of making money and needs to set priorities right. Yes, this may mean I miss out on an F seat once or twice next year, but if I really want one on a certain flight, I will still have my CR1s and can get into that queue and know I'll have priority to clear at 96 hours.

I do agree the revenue possibility would have been a major change, but also recognize (as UA officials probably did) it would be very complex to administer. As many of us noted at the time, would this apply to our total spend through bookings on UA/CO.com or UA/CO ticket stock (via TAs, other online booking sites)? Just UA/CO metal flights? How would blended UA/CO/STAR itineraries be divided up? The obvious solution was to increase the status eligible miles by adding the revenue component to full Y, C and F fares so elite status could be earned with fewer actual BIS miles.

I'm looking forward to a pair of those nifty MP luggage tags being used on the promo pages. Will they materialize?

IDGflygirl and mowogo like this.
  21. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, definitely not "you".... I was referencing to the OP that posted we all should be thanking Lucky for saving the MileagePlus Program when it wasn't just him but the entire United Frequent Flier Community in general that sent in feedback about the "potential changes".

It's not too over the top considering the "source" and the disillusioned belief that he single-handedly saved the MileagePlus program...like some kind of Savior... :rolleyes:

EX-LAX likes this.
  22. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do realize and appreciate all the people across the internet whom voiced their opposition to the proposed changes to Mileage Plus. I think Lucky was instrumental in starting and raising this firestorm by publishing the info on his blog, so this is the reason I give credit to him for saving Mileage Plus. If he had not published the proposal, United may actually had the audacity to roll out the program with all of the dreaded changes.

23. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, has anyone validated the accuracy of Lucky's information at the time it was published? Besides all the arm-chair quarterbacking that goes on, on FT, has anyone with concrete information proven a link between Lucky's leak and a change in the MP program going forward?

If I yell "fire" in a movie theater every time I go into one and get everyone to evacuate am I a hero for averting a potential disaster (it could have technically caught fire at any time), or just someone who likes to make noise and get a reaction?

24. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That could be problematic for 1st Amendment purposes:p. Of course, I thank the stars for the 21st Amendment when reading many posts in internet BBS world. You constitutional scholar types should get that.:D We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate over a debate.;)

Wandering Aramean and EX-LAX like this.
  25. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    That example chosen was, of course, done on purpose.
    Every time I bring-up Chicken Little on here or FT someone will retort that, in actuality, the sky is falling. I don't know why I bother. You can't fight crazy.