Thank you Senator Schumer, time to break up BIGAIR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ahappyelite, Dec 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    The disinformation campaign of airlines for Wall Street is facing some serious headwinds starting today, this is a great country and it's time to give the air traveller what he wants-which is totally different from what big air/Wall Street is giving him. We need an AT&T breakup of the air cartels who went berserk as soon as the keys to the airways were handed to the them. The first subpoenas should center on "seat discipline" arrangements which are clearly in restraint of competition

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In case you are wondering, this is what the OP is thanking Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) for:
    "At a time when the cost of fuel is plummeting and profits are rising, it is curious and confounding that ticket prices are sky-high and defying economic gravity,” Schumer said in a statement. “So I’m urging the feds to step in and do a price investigation on behalf of consumers who must buy holiday travel tickets that can break the bank."

Flyer1976, Newscience, PanAm and 3 others like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's a clear monopoly. All you've got are United, Delta, American, Southwest, Alaska, Frontier, Virgin America, JetBlue, Spirit . . .

If you want more competition, lift the foreign ownership restrictions on US airlines. Let Ryanair and Singapore compete for the US market.

Schumer, however, isn't taken seriously by very many people (least of which his colleagues in the Senate).

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...implying there is no mopoly but I think the monopoly is in the bigness of the Large Three, which need to be broken up a la Ma Bell. The others are just small potatoes along for the ride...

The Supreme Court calls the Sherman Antitrust Act a "charter of freedom", designed to protect free enterprise in America. Here's Justice Douglas on the Curse of Bigness:
    "We have here the problem of bigness. Its lesson should by now have been burned into our memory by Brandeis. The Curse of Bigness shows how size can become a menace--both industrial and social. It can be an industrial menace because it creates gross inequalities against existing or putative competitors. It can be a social menace...In final analysis, size in steel is the measure of the power of a handful of men over our economy...The philosophy of the Sherman Act is that it should not exist...Industrial power should be decentralized. It should be scattered into many hands so that the fortunes of the people will not be dependent on the whim or caprice, the political prejudices, the emotional stability of a few self-appointed men...That is the philosophy and the command of the Sherman Act. It is founded on a theory of hostility to the concentration in private hands of power so great that only a government of the people should have it." - Dissenting opinion of Justice Douglas in United States v. Columbia Steel Co.

Flyer1976, B1BomberVB and Newscience like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this just a continuation of your previous thread? If so, why not continue there, so people don't have to rehash the same thing again.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good catch. I had not realized that it was the same OP...

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The industry was laden with disguised antitrust when there were 3x the number of big players.

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The law of supply and demand takes care of most businesses,

In the case of politicians, they seem to have a stranglehold,

Airlines have a large investment, and I do not see the investors making a killing,

As for the Shumers they seem to have found a bottomless money pocket, trying to protect, and serve the consumer.

No politician is going to give you anything, out of their pocket.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're suggesting that Sen. Schumer might gain financially by taking the cause of small retail travelers, that would seem slightly less than credible. Here's where most of his support comes from (73% large contributors, 16% PAC's):
    https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cycle=2014&type=C&cid=N00001093&newMem=N

10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is NOTHING in the Constitution that supports what senator from the not so great state of NY wants to do! He is (AGAIN) running out and smearing his face into a lens in an attempt for free air time. He has the most "On-air" time of any politician and outside of his constituency one of the least known.

Zomby Woof, daninstl and vickers like this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a little bit more thought and less hyperventilating one should see that regardless of their personal feelings toward the good senator, there is a compelling reason to wonder why despite the oil prices being at a 5-year low (the prices just went down again), this is not translating into savings on airfares for the consumers...

As a consumer with an inquiring mind, I'd be interested to know more about this odd phenomenon...preferably without invoking the Constitution of United States of America to find out whether or not this is allowed.

Flyer1976, blackjack-21 and MX like this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a savings for the consumer,
    Fact is airlines simply don't operate day today they make longrange production projections, pre purchase fule and supplies.

SOUTHWEST Bought gas ahead and was able to keep ticket prices down,

One can bet if Profits go up the unions and government will take every bit of it

Why not ask yourself how the governments have kept the price of gas artificially depressed....SHUMER NOSE..

I often look at the Health Care System, Social Security System, and the Banking a System, and the way it is ran,

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  13. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah a fellow cynic.

Flyer1976 and daninstl like this.
  14. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    the airlines are the only industry focused on degrading their product, screwing with the customer, deliberately making travel an outlandish ordeal, stealing from and deceiving customers (even smartphones are about to have a price war) and fixing prices through seat discipline (price fixing). Orbitz searches return two or three carrier results with prices either exactly the same or one that is absurd, another more absurd, and the third most absurd of all. When Congress holds hearings they are going to need an 80,000 seat arena-how many people in America are being screwed over by BIGAIR which consistently delivers a painful, regrettable and costly experience. I was on a flight the other day and FIrst Class looked like People Express-the return @ 5 AM was post 9/11 empty-clearly people are sick of people being ripped off (the airlines try to set one absurd fare even for these ungodly hour flights-so rabidly disdainful are they of the customer)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    B1BomberVB and MX like this.
  15. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am always leery of the government coming in and mandating businesses lower costs to benefit the consumer. It rarely works out well for us. Businesses find a way to move costs around. Are tickets too high? To some people yes, to others no. The smaller airlines are not competing well with the larger ones. My home airport, HSV (which is in the top 5 for most expensive airports in the country), used to have Airtran which made daily stops to DC and Orlando. They pulled out within a year. When they merged with SouthWest, I guess they didnt see a reason to have a presence at Nashville, Huntsville, and Birmingham. Also, those flights where rarely half full, from those I talked to who flew them.

Here is my question... Should airline travel be affordable to everyone? If so, whats affordable? Is it considered a luxury item that shouldnt be available to everyone?

16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    People are still flying. The airlines dont need to drop prices. Nothing odd about it. They see this opportunity to make their shareholders some more money. That what businesses do. They make money.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are definitely entitled to your opinion if you think a plutocracy is a good thing, but I strongly disagree, as do the basic laws of economics...for those who actually understand them.

MX likes this.
  18. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    To restate my position - when the government (senator chucky) wants to grant us peons the same rights and privileges that they claim for themselves AND PAY FOR AS WELL I will support them in there race to the bottom for equally.

Flyer1976, daninstl and satman40 like this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Government supplements airline, having them fly into little never used airports, and leaving every 10 minutes half full from busy ones,

Let the law of supply and demand rule.

Ever wonder who gets the money from the large fines an airline pays, sure not the deprived passenger.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  20. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clearly you haven't dealt with Comcast and Time Warner lately;)

Flyer1976, vickers, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand how you feel, but are you personally wiling to put your money on the line and hope others buy the service.

They are also buying the programming, and maintaining the service,

Any idea of how many crooks and dead beats they deal with.

Profit is not a dirty word, and not all companies make a profit, many can and do go out of business, many of my friends have bit the dust.

In the service business, and just telling you a little bit about the other side of the coin.

Schumer is just politicking, and blowing hot air, he did not build that.

22. Ceres

Ceres Active Member

Status Points:
    Well they will say that they "pre bought" the fuel when it drops and not enough bought when it rises ;)

B1BomberVB likes this.
  23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    And politicians like chucky are taking one thing that supports his cause (out of thousands that don't ) and demand change.

Newscience likes this.
  24. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing personal with senator chucky - I just dislike politicians.
    Old joke: how can you tell when a politician is lying - his lips are moving.

Flyer1976, satman40 and Newscience like this.
  25. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the great American humorist, Mark Twain: ;)

"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason."

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class, except Congress".

"Fleas can be taught nearly everything a Congressman can."

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

"The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are for an entire banquet."

Counsellor, MX, flyforawg and 3 others like this.