Thank you 1800Flowers /sarcasm off

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TravelBear, May 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have now attempted twice to send my mom flowers from this company and twice they have flubbed up the order. This last time after the 4th phone call they offered another attempted delivery or to cancel the order, so I cancelled the order and as a consolation they offered me some $20 something or other to use with them. They can't get it right when I pay them with my money, not sure why they think I wanna try again using their money and mine.

(grumble, grumble)

BTW I ordered on Monday for a Thursday delivery to beat the weekend rush.

I have already unHappy Mother's Day my mom to tell her she isn't getting flowers. It's a good thing she is easy going about this kind of thing.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only used to do this for the miles, but there are countless stories of how they either screw up orders or the deliveries are just nasty looking because of the people they use.

Nowadays I just find the nearest local florist and call them. They take credit cards so it's not a complete loss, even though I miss on the bonus miles :)

julielou2 and boondr like this.
  3. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good choice. Nothing wrong with supporting your local small business even if it means sacrificing some miles/points. We all need to do more of that. I bet if your local florist made an error like the company who let TravelBear down...the local florist would do what it took to make sure you were somewhat satisfied.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with the others. Sometimes it's worth giving up the miles, and this is definitely one of those times. I worked in the floral supply business for awhile and I know quite a bit about the industry. All of the major online floral companies are lousy. 1800Flowers and ProFlowers are the worst. They will send the recipient a box of crappy flowers that they have to assemble themselves into a bouquet, unless you order a pre-assembled bouquet, which will be equally crappy but at least slung into a cheap vase.

FTD and Teleflora aren't good either: they send the order to a local florist, but they take 60% of the money right off the top. You can guess what kind of quality the florist is likely to produce under those circumstances.

If you look up a local florist online, be careful, since a lot of "florist" websites are covered in keywords to make them pop up under whatever town you search. If you glance at these sites, you might think they are in Topeka or New Orleans or wherever. But they're not. If you order from them, they will simply pass your order on through FTD or Teleflora, collect the affiliate commission and a local florist will get the order... same as if you ordered directly from FTD or Teleflora and got the points. So be sure the florist is actually local to the recipient: there should be a local ADDRESS on the site.

Anyway, identify a local florist (http://www.flowershopnetwork.com is one way) and CALL them. I tell them how much I want to spend, and ask for what I want specifically (e.g. recipient's favorite flower) or more usually I ask for a bouquet of the nicest seasonal flowers they have in stock. If I know the recipient likes "traditional" or "contemporary" floral designs, I specify that, but that's not critical. Trust me, this works, and the recipients have always been thrilled with the results. I often get comments like "these are the nicest flowers I've ever received."

iolaire and TravelBear like this.
  5. smayorga

smayorga Active Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. 1800flowers.com is very low quality.

I use the ThanksAgain.com program to get flowers. There is a fantastic local florist who participate in the program in Portland, OR, where I live. It's only 1:1 miles earned, but that's on top of the credit card points earned.

Another great option is OrganicBouquet.com. They have several rewards affiliations and I take advantage of the Delta Skymiles affiliation. It's 10 miles per dollar spent + cc points earned. Excellent flowers, most of which are from environmentally sustainable farms and everything I have ordered has arrived in perfect shape.

6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So glad to find out I really need to avoid those places, and yes it was primarily for the points....30x! In the past I have just called a local florist and things went smoothly. I may give ThanksAgain and OrganicBouquet a look see. Mom and I had a nice chuckle on the phone a few minutes ago about how beautiful her flowers aren't!

free101girl and smayorga like this.
  7. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    These both sound like options worth pursuing. Thanks for the tips!

TravelBear likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think Domino's / Little Caesar's vs local neighborhood Italien restaurant.

TravelBear likes this.
  9. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally I do, but the 30x points was just too much of a draw!

10. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the Dominos garlic crust is so good....and the Little Caesars crazy bread is way too yummy. There are some tastes that a local restaurant cannot duplicate.

viguera and thesterlingtraveler like this.
  11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And I don't think they would ever WANT to duplicate!!!!!!!!!!

free101girl and TravelBear like this.