Thailand vacation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by IkeEsq, Dec 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a request or two for all the world travelers here. My sister is turning 50 this summer and I wanted to send her off anywhere in the world she wanted to go. I asked her, hypothetically, where she would like to go and Thailand came up, as it has in the past. She is well travelled and likes adventure and activity over relaxation and things of historical interest. Climbing Kilamanjaro and treking through Uganda to see the gorillas are previous trips.

So for Christmas, I would like to propose a trip for the two of us for a week-ish in Thailand for her Birthday. I was wondering what people's suggestions would be for getting there from WAS, preferably in Business/First? Emirates seems to have more convenient flights but I don't know that they help me. I have around 500K AA, 120K DL, 100K US, 100K MR, and 150K UR. Obviously, I can up balances as needed within limits. Not sure if doing a RTW would be a better idea than RT?

Also, any ideas on things we should definitely see/do or places to stay? I have only been to Thailand once, a weekend in Bangkok. Something along the lines of sea kayaking in Phuket . . .

TIA!

Ike

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. davidthomas

davidthomas Active Member

Status Points:
    Thailand is one of the top most destinations in the world, one stop Thailand vacation and shopping resource here. Find amazing custom tailors in Bangkok, overall the perfect destination to all.

Mapsmith likes this.
  3. Jeroen

Jeroen New Member

Status Points:
    If you go to Phuket you should not forget to make a trip to Phang Nga Bay where you can find karts mountains in the sea and also a daytrip to Koh Phi Phi Island is a must. On Maya Beach on Koh Phi Phi they shot the movie "The Beach" with Leonardo di Caprio, it's a beauty.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    First stop should be the Destination folder, Thailand thread on MP:

http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/thailand.282/

You will find many extremely helpful people there. We went to Thailand in January and virtually everything we did was from advice on that board - and some from private messages from the major contributors.

We flew from NYC and were able to use AA miles on Cathay Pacific First Class - WOW!!! You would have to make two connections to do that since Cathay does not fly from WAS. And using AA miles (if you choose to do the Cathay thing) you will find the difference in miles between Business and First to be minimal. We paid 270,000 total for 2 FC tickets - I think the two Business would have totalled 220,000.

It is a truly amazing and enchanting place. Sure you'll have a great time.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been awhile since I went to BKK. United goes straight to narita with a short layover and another 6 hr to BKK. Delta goes to Detroit or ATL to narita. If you have united you can go Singapore Air from Lax. You can go Air Nippon from IAD. The choice is yours.

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. milespoints

milespoints Member

Status Points:
    i was there in jan 2013 for 3 weeks, stayed 10 days in BKK, 7 days in Chiang Mai ,3 days in Hua hin.
    Chiang Mai is wonderful. Stay at the lemeridan hotel area. it is just steps from the night bazaar. I liked Thailand and thai airlines.

Mapsmith likes this.
  7. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thailand is best destinations for fun, And there is very facilities for Travelers, so any one can go and visit very easily.