Thailand may introduce tourist tax

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by sobore, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10397041/Thailand-may-introduce-tourist-tax.html

It is currently free to enter to the country, one of Southeast Asia’s most popular destinations, but Thai authorities have said they are now considering introducing a fee of around £10 per head.

The government has claimed it is introducing the tax in order to pay for visitors’ unpaid medical bills and in the hope of attracting a better “quality” of holidaymaker.

The tax could be introduced from January next year.

Pradit Sintavanarong, Thailand's Public Health Minister, said officials from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, the Ministry of Public Health and the Royal Thai Police agreed the fee should be introduced, according to a report in the Bangkok Post.

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10397041/Thailand-may-introduce-tourist-tax.html

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow, let's hope this is just a rumor.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too, I hope it's a rumor, but many cities especially in Italy have such taxes already in place. It's wouldn't surprise me at all.
    These are the times. Regarding a "higher quality of visitor", that's interesting, surely they mean " a more wealthy visitor who spends more money".
    In the end, it's all about money and how to attract a new generation of tourists to Thailand. Of course this is the same in many / or all other countries around the world too, as the competition hots up again between nations and who's attraction whom.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does an entry fee get "higher quality" tourists? Another story is that it is to fund unpaid hospital bills for idiots that go there, rent a motorcycle, crash it and run up big bills and have no insurance. Of course what they would collect is MANY times what these bills cost and nowhere is it said the money would go to the healthcare system!

sobore, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. aaronJC

aaronJC Active Member

Status Points:
    Another policy that is not well thought out, badly explained, and simply another cash grab from "rich" foreigners.

How many people are going to think that this is a health insurance fee and feel that they no longer need travel insurance? Seems like they are just creating more problems for themselves.

If the reasons stated are real and not just an excuse to grab more dough, perhaps showing proof of travel insurance at the time of purchasing a ticket might actually go somewhere toward solving the problem...

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    sobore, estnet and Kalboz like this.
  6. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once had a situation when I was a lot younger when I travelled to Thailand with friends, because we were going for a month in total, maybe even less than 30 days, we did not require a visa, however we had gone to Laos, during our trip, about 2 weeks in, which did require a visa, and we were not aware that upon our return in Thailand our situation had changed which suddenly meant that on our return home at the airport we were then charged as without the visa we had 'overstayed our welcome' by about 2/3 days. It was all a little confusing but I'd rather have just paid for the visa in the first place to cover my back. I am unsure why they would then see fit to charge us more money to still enter the country! Surely this would deter people from visiting, even wealthier people, as they would be able to visit other luxurious places around the world and not be charged to enter.

Kalboz likes this.