Thailand - Bangkok: Hotel choice for 2 nights October

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Travelman, Jul 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts for a 2 night stay in Bangkok in Oct for a person without elite hotel status? ... luxury would be nice :):)

Kalboz, uggboy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Bangkok is such an inexpensive place to straight-up buy luxury hotel nights, there are exceptional value deals available at the Four Seasons in particular e.g. through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts or presumably also Virtuoso.

You say no status, but does that also mean no points? If you have even a handful, consider Cash & Points at the new St. Regis.

savydog and Kalboz like this.
  3. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gleff, I have some SPG points and Marriott points. Is there any advantage to being in off-river versus on-river ... I noticed that there is a BTS station near Four Seasons.

uggboy likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it :) The river can have its charms, the Peninsula for instance is a lovely property (I happen to be in the minority but am not a fan of the Oriental). In general for easy access to activity being downtown and not near the river will be more convenient.

Bonnie, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    This forum is beginning to look like the only place in Asia is Bangkok.

Still if you want luxury, I would guess that either the Peninsula or the MO would more than satisfy. Even though they are not downtown, from either, it's an easy free trip to the Skytrain.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bangkok really does not have a particular downtown, but rather several clusters of downtowns. In fact, most Thais consider the area between Saphan Phut and Saphan Phra Pin Klao as the actual downtown (the area around the Grand Palace).

The Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, HI Bangkok, and Lebua at State Tower are located within such "a clustered downtown" area that is very well connected to other parts of the city by skytrain (BTS), boat, and plentiful taxi service. The Peninsula, on the other hand, is located on the Thomburi side of Bangkok right across the river from the Mandarin Oriental, which is also connected to the to the BTS artery by complementary shuttle boat. Having some SPG or Marriott points? The Royal Orchid Sheraton (ROS) is a great value property on the river a bit north of the MO. In other clusters: You might want to consider the St. Regis, the InterContinental, Grand Hyatt Erawan or the Renaissance at the Ratchaprasong area. The JW Marriott, the RM Plaza Athenee, or the Conrad at lower Sukhumvit/Wireless Rd. area. The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, or the Westin Grande Sukhumvit at Asok area. And there many other great value hotels in between and throughout Bangkok. Like gleff said above, it all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it :)

Agreed ... but what you gonna do? what you gonna do? :) Forums are made by members participation. But I am not surprised that the Thailand discussion is "prevailing" here ... it is precisly the same situation on TOBB as the Thailand branch there is the most active above all others.

7. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anantara Bangkok Sathorn - http://bangkok-sathorn.anantara.com/ 5 star for about $120 a night

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok - http://www.chatrium.com/chatrium_hotel/ 5 star for about $100 a night

Or apply for the Hilton Amex, https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/hilton-hhonors-card/71-1000-78, and get about 50,000 points after $500 spend, which could be enough for at least 1 night at the Conrad Bangkok. If you signed up for the Virgin Atlantic card and got the 50,000 pts, you can convert those into Hilton at a 1:1 rate. With a test booking, it looks like the Millenium Hilton is 25,000 points a night, and the Conrad Bangkok is 35,000 points a night or 17,500 + $60 if you use the cash and points. So by applying for the card, you could get at least 2 nights in a nice hotel.

I'll be in Bangkok in September. Of course, as an unemployed recent grad, I'll be staying in the cheap local hotels. But I can live vicariously through you.

Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four Seasons.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Peninsula Hotel Bangkok or the Krungthep wing of the Shangri La Bangkok plus the Mandarin Oriental! ENJOY!:):):):):)

Kalboz likes this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also headed to Bangkok is October, but just for 1 night (unofficial stopover). We're considering Lebua and the IC. Along with hotels, anyone have any good suggestions for rooftop bars/ restaurants?

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just saw that the President Solitaire hotel is bookable for $57..40% regular rates through Travelzoo. 4 to 4.5 star hotel, depending on the site you look at, has some pretty solid reviews (http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/solitaire.en.html), (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ws-President_Solitaire_Hotel_Spa-Bangkok.html)

$57 -- Bangkok Suite incl. Upgrade, Breakfast & More*

By Sonia Taylor, Sydney & Jennifer Rugani, New York updated 6/28/2011

The elegantly appointed President Solitaire in Bangkok is offering an exclusive rate for Travelzoo subscribers: Stay in a Premier Suite for just $57 (THB1749) per night. These suites can regularly go for up to $90 a night, saving younearly 40% off regular rates.​
    Travelzoo subscribers will also receive:​
    • Daily buffet breakfast for two
    • Welcome drink upon arrival
    • 15% discount on Ananda Spa
    • Daily English newspaper (Bangkok Post)
    • Complimentary wireless Internet
    • Complimentary tuk-tuk shuttle service
    President Solitaire is located on Sukhumvit Road, minutes away from shopping centers and high-end nightlife options like Q Bar and Bed Supperclub. As an added convenience, the Nana BTS Skytrain station is a 10-minute walk from the hotel or two minutes via the free tuk-tuk shuttle service.
    Spacious Premier Suites have views of the Sukhumvit skyline and are equipped with a kitchen, living and dining area, bathroom with complimentary robe and slippers, 42" plasma TV with satellite channels and DVD player. For just $68 (THB2099) per night, stay in a larger Solitaire Suite.​
    The hotel offers guests a range of services, including a fully-equipped fitness center, complimentary car parking, the Anandna Spa, a library, swimming pool, sauna and steam room.​
    Valid for stays through October.​

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/int...re-1057141/?conf=1&cm=signedin&source=_tzlock

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kwai parents (mom & pop buffalo) like the Krungthep wing of the Shangri-La. A 2 minute walk to the BTS and/or Chao Phraya river ferry stop at Saphan Taksin.

savydog, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D:D:D

uggboy and kwai like this.
  15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Listen to how Thai people say Shangri-La, it sounds more like 'Shan-gorilla'. A buffalo feels right at home.

16. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would look at the Anantara Sathorn thought the location is not the best the prices are good. Kalboz has some posts for where to get it for as low as $45. I have booked it on traveleasy.com.au for $65 incl breakfast which was very good.

17. iang000

iang000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great, someone asks a question on here and gets answers as opposed to FT where I asked almost the exact same question but instead of answers I got smart remarks about not doing homework - I think I'll leave that FT site for this one from now on!

18. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had exactly the same experience on FT on a different topic.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all met on Flyertalk as it was originally founded by Randy and the same team that is charge here: Tommy, Gary, Ed, etc. I still read and post there, but here there is much less clutter and I am more comfortable ... :)

uggboy and Cdnblue like this.