Thailand about to be less friendly

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by estnet, Jul 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...valid-id-at-all-times-report-within-24-hours/

"
    HUA HIN: -- [thaivisa.com] Hua Hin Immigration is from today enforcing the existing rule that foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times.

At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide.
    Valid ID's are:
    Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Penalty:

Failure to carry valid ID as above is 2,000 Baht."

Highlight added - so I don't like to carry my passport and usually carry a copy. No option (apparently) to have my copy stamped by immigration when I enter the country, but I'd need to have it stamped in each place I visit????? Not good.

uggboy, Kalboz and anileze like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, Kalboz and WilliamQ like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a money grab since few tourists would know about this.

I've been to Hua Hin. Fortunately there are plenty of other beach resorts in the world that are higher on my to-do list, so ... good luck with your tourism business, Hua Hin.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely the correct way to read something like this...

Counsellor, uggboy, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure it's a money thing (therefore unfriendly IMHO), but it's NOT just Hua Hin - the article says they plan to do this throughout Thailand plus there are some other very onerous measures for expats who move and/or for landlords who rent to foreigners.
    "
    24-hour reporting
    Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address. This applies to both tourists and expats.

Here are the two Immigration forms to be used, they can be downloaded from Thaivisa here:
    Here is the TM28 form that must be used from now in Hua Hin, and nationwide if/when enforced:
    http://www.thaivisa....-over-24-hours/
    There is also another reporting obligation, and this applies when a foreigner visits another province and stays for more than 48 hours. In that case the reporting of the new address must be provided to the police, or the immigration, within 48 hours."
    Of course it is unenforceable (in large part) and if I put on my immigration form that I am staying at a hotel in Bangkok, then I move to a different province I am supposed to "report to immigration" - even if I knew where that was, I bet they have no idea what to do (except maybe to collect some "fee")
    Can't quite imagine what they were thinking
    Thailand is already suffering a serious decrease in tourism and this surely won't help their image - Land of Smiles or not! So sad.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    uggboy, Kalboz and Thomask like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  7. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:

24 hours must be the shortest reporting window in the world. Except North Korea. They always know where you are and take good care.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is done in Hua Hin specifically to minimize foreign arrivals to the city where the king resides. Another sign of foreign tourism discouragement is the lack of air service between Hua Hin and major Thai cities.

WilliamQ, uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes except "Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide."

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the Thai government is requiring to have the passport on you at all times then do what do you do at a pool or beach?

I can see this becoming a set-up operation and a profit maker very quickly if they start having enforcement at beaches and pool areas...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Kalboz likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the location of the pool or the beach. If the pool is associated with a hotel, just leave the passport in the room and get it if requested; but I do not believe that passport enforcement would occur on such a private property...even in Thailand. On a public beach, either use a locker, if available, or leave it in a rental car, if that how you got to the beach. It would be extraordinary even in Thailand for anyone to expect tourists to have their passports on the beach.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of this small island nation off of the African continent which charged an exit tax of (as I recall) $50.25 U.S. It had to be paid in U.S. currency and they gave no change (whether they had change or not). What this meant was that since most travelers carried $50 or $100 bills (and as I recall someone mentioned that the ATM at the airport only gave out hundreds), the tax collector would get $100 per head from such folks. Even people carrying $20s, which very few non-U.S. folks do traveling internationally, would wind up paying $60 or more.

As it tuned out, I had a bunch of U.S. change in a change purse in my carry-on. I was quite popular with the other departees in line, but not so much with the guy collecting the exit tax.

(I gave the quarters away if asked, and simply suggested they buy an American a drink the next time they ran into one. I got to thinking afterward that this -- interfering with the tax collector's scam -- might not have been the smartest thing I ever did, but no retaliation was forthcoming. Just lucky, I guess.)

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priceless :):p:)

Then there is the airport in Myanmar that makes you pay an exit fee to leave the airport on arrival! (I think it was 20 or 30 usd AND had to be paid in brand new unwrinkled, etc. bills) to visit "historical areas" even if you are just going to your hotel. Turns out the airport is located smack dab in the middle of a "historical area"!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    Kalboz likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't recall seeing any lockers at the beach in Hua Hin. Didn't have a rental and probably wouldn't consider that a safe place to leave my passport. And I bet you $60 or Bhat 2,000 that they will very much expect you to have the passport at the beach if the goal is to make money...

Kalboz likes this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is fine. I was going by what is or is not humanly possible around the world at large...

But even for Thailand, I will stick with my guess as to what the passport requirements would be... They will try to avoid too much infringement on personal liberties...

Kalboz likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Personally, while I liked the Hyatt in Hua Hin (great value before the devaluation of 2012 (?)), the city and surroundings wasn't all that interesting. A night market and downtown that I wouldn't want to walk through with my passport in my back pocket, a ton of resorts lined up along a decent and yet crowded beach, and that is pretty much all I remember. Not a place I necessarily need to return to, so if the Thais want to keep it to themselves and their royal family, that's fine with me. I've been to more interesting places (Koh Samui in Thailand, for example, but also other countries). No 2000 Bhat from me! (but I'll keep an eye on the situation as it develops for other places in Thailand)

Kalboz likes this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points: