Thai Smile Rant

Discussion in 'Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus' started by A_Lee, Mar 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming trip to Thailand and need to transfer at BKK to UTH. Last year I already gave up on Thai Smile, being they don't give *A miles anymore, and no lounge access or extra baggage allowance, even for ROP Gold members. So I normally just fly PG for domestic flights, but I want to maximize my time in UTH, being I must depart early the following morning. Checking on the TG website, there's a flight that departs 90 minutes after my international arrival, but with no special transfer immigration when heading to UTH, I'm worried if the normal immigration lines are long, and/or my incoming flight is delayed a bit, I might miss the cut-off. PG's closest flight isn't till much later, even later than the second Thai Smile flight. So I'm left with no choice but to use Thai Smile if I want to maximize my time in UTH, but they sell only tickets which are changeable with a 750 THB fee, and must be changed 8 hours prior to departure time! What kind of nonsense is that 8 hours? Do the people running Thai Smile have any experience in the airline business? Haven't they ever heard of people wanting to change their ticket at the last moment? And haven't they ever heard of people who only want to buy tickets which can be changed without a fee, even if it means paying more for the ticket?

I guess I'll either buy just the earlier ticket, and take my chances, then buy a new ticket if I miss the cut-off for the first flight, or do the previously unthinkable and catch a taxi over to Don Muang and fly Nok which has many more flights than Thai Smile does. Third option would be to buy two Thai Smile tickets, one for each flight, and throw away the one I don't use.

With no lounge access, miles, or other benefits, it really doesn't matter who I fly with anymore, but I just want a bit of convenience and options. I really have no idea what TG is trying to do with their Thai Smile project, but clearly it's not at all working from my standpoint.

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two tickets on the same carrier could be caught as a duplicate reservation. Both could be cancelled.

A_Lee and Dublin_rfk like this.
  3. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering about that, if their system might flag something like that. It would be possible for someone to fly there and back, then back again on the next flight, but often times computer systems flag things which are 'legal', ie. possible, but that get triggered as impossibilities.

Perhaps better to reserve one Thai Smile and one Nok. The thing about Nok is the ticket is cheaper and changeable. If only Nok flew from BKK it would be a no-brainer to use them. Anyways, I estimate I should be able to make the connection to DMK and the Nok flight and still arrive in UTH before the second Thai Smile flight. Hopefully there won't be any credit card issues trying to book with Nok if I decide to go that route.

4. jacob jo

jacob jo Member

Status Points:
    To UTH have another fight by Thai lion air and air asia.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a free bus bkk-dmg but had no idea how often it runs. I also strongly dislike smile!

6. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the first I've heard of Thai Lion Air. Unfortunately they both fly from DMK. I arrive at BKK so would prefer a flight from there but the only choices are Thai Smile and PG. If I transfer to DMK, I'll just take Nok being their schedule fits well.

If I need to go to DMK, I'll just take a taxi given time is important to me on this trip.

Thanks for the replies.

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've switched over to DMK and Nok for domestic destinations where PG doesn't fly with a few very specific exceptions. While I haven't taken the BKK-DMK bus Mrs Kwai did and said it was smooth and easy and took about an hour with buses leaving every 30 minutes (IIRC).

You're facing ~200 THB in tolls/airport fees + meter for that taxi ride. In total your probably looking north of 500THB.

A_Lee likes this.