Thai Airways: What does a Changeable Ticket Really Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sahilmdoshi, Aug 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sahilmdoshi

sahilmdoshi New Member

Status Points:
    So I decided to purchase a ticket on Thai Airways. I had a few options on their website while making the reservation. I decided that I would buy a ticket which was priced higher (about 20%) only because it would allow me to change the dates for free!!

Then the time came to change the ticket, and I called in to ask them to change it to an earlier date.

SURPRISE SURPRISE!!

You must pay a re-issue fee (2000 baht approx. $65) if you want to change the date to a prior date, but you can change it for free if it is a post-date. I had absolutely no recollection of reading anywhere on the booking page of their website that you could not change the date to an earlier date.

I figured it wouldn't be easy to explain my case over the phone, and so I thought I would try my luck at the Thai Airways City office on Silom Road in Bangkok. To my further surprise, the staff there made me wait for 40 minutes before talking to me...and I could clearly see that they were just chit chatting and not really "working". When I tried to explain to them that I had bought an H class ticket instead of a Q class ticket only so that I could change the reservation without paying, they told me that they can't help me and that I should go to the airport as its time to close their office now, and see if they can do something for me at the airport. And they told me that I would probably have to pay at the airport too and they wouldn't guarantee anything.

I was quite offended with their level of service, and their rudeness, and so I called in to Thai and told them that if they didn't waive the fee, I would cancel this ticket and book with another airline. That didn't change their minds about waiving the fee. So I ended up saving 200$ net, and I'm now flying with Cathay Pacific.

Just wanted to let people know that:

1. If you are booking on Thai Airways (or any other airline), make sure to find out what changeable means...if you plan on buying a changeable ticket.
    2. Although the people of Thailand are very polite...the ones at Thai Airways in Silom are lazy f**kers who are super inefficient.
    3. Don't expect Thai hospitality from Thai Airways!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Counsellor likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, welcome to milepoint :)
    Thai has lots of issues, from nonworking websites to 30 minute waits to reserve a first class meal (which couldn't be done on their broken web), to NO service recovery, etc. As in the poem "when it's good it's very, very good.....but when it's bad it's horrid" :D:mad::(

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Sammich, traveltoomuch and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. A case of mistaken site identity!:D

Sammich, estnet and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoops..... just made my apt with the neurologist for a memory check - just kidding. Mistake now corrected.

5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    good, for a moment there, i thought the 2 Forums had merged :D