TG795 Cancelled 08Feb2011, almost royally screwed up RTW ticket

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by TXHolmes, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    So I just noticed that apparently TG795 08Feb11 was cancelled as my 2 business class reward seats were changed to 09Feb2011, great I thought, until I noticed that would make us misconnect on SQ to SIN, where we were to spend 2 nights before heading to the Maldives for a week or so, then on to South Africa... After the CO Agent scared me saying she couldnt find any availability to fix the itinerary, she got us on the same SQ flight as originally planned, but one day later... so now we have to overnight in LA and have one less night in SIN... kinda sucks, but when you're flying AUS-IAH-LAX-BKK-SIN-MLE-SIN-JNB-JFK-EWR-AUS in business for just the tax, I guess you can't really complain...

Anyone know why TG cancelled the flight? I know they cancelled a few last year when the flooding was going on...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, since you talked about flights in 2011 (aka last year) maybe they were canceled due to flooding :D

kansaskeith likes this.
  3. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    The scheduled frequency on that route is reduced to 6X as of 30 Jan and further to 5X from 07 Feb:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.0/Diamond - Amadeus: Timetable/NL-BCDF]
    Code:
    LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
    BKK  Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Intl TH [VTBS]
    MON  30 Jan 2012 - 06 Feb 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
    TG         795     LAX   21:30     BKK   06:30 +2  345  0   12-4567     18:00       B       -   30 Jan   05 Feb   Mon 06 Feb

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.0/Diamond - Amadeus: Timetable/NL-BCDF]
    Code:
    LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
    BKK  Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Intl TH [VTBS]
    MON  06 Feb 2012 - 13 Feb 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
    TG         795     LAX   21:30     BKK   06:30 +2  345  0   -2-4567     18:00       B       -   07 Feb   06 Mar

4. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    Good to know Z rep, thanks so much... I guess thats what I get for booking 8 months out.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you change to leave the USA one day earlier so as to have more time in Singapore? It's fascinating and very easy for a traveler.

6. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    We were in SIN last year for a day layover and loved it, which is why we were so excited to have 2 nights there this time... but we already have a technical "stopover" in South Africa on the return, so without converting it to an actual "RTW" reward, which is many more miles, they won't allow it :(

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. A one night stop after a long flight can be very exhausting.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me throw out a thought. I've had involuntary changes in flight schedules on award tickets which I've used to the fullest.

For example, I had an award ticket booked on low miles W - X - Y then return Y - Z - W. There was a change in schedule on the X-Y segment. I used that change to W - Y, then return Y - W, both nonstop. I was able to make the changes on low awards - despite no low mile award inventory being available - due to the change in schedule.

I know it was fully within my rights to change to the W - Y nonstop. I have a feeling the switch to the Y - W nonstop on the return was pushing it, but the agent did it without flinching.

My journey was all on one carrier, which certainly made my situation easier.

Perhaps the OP should call the carrier that issued the ticket and simply asked to be moved to whatever flights he wants, as long as he doesn't change the actual destinations. I have a bad feeling that this might not be as easily accommodated, as it is across multiple carriers...but it is worth an ask, IMHO.

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is the key, and even better if it is the issuing airline and you have status on it. The operating airlines has a lot of flexibility (i.e., just open a reward seat for you).

The trouble starts when you are involving multiple partners for which the airline might (or not) have some leverage on. I find it hard to believe that CO will have any leverage on SQ and TG. Completely different story if it was CO metal.

I had a similar problem with schedule change - my return from BCN on LH O, was changed from 12:30 to 8:30. As I am returning from a cruise that would not work. The best that CO could do for me was to change the flight to get back on AC I - but at least that, because I could not find any availability online at that stage. At least the OP got noticed - I discovered it while routinely checking my itinerary.