Text message every time I check in

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, May 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else noticed that recently UA implemented some new technology that sends a text message every time you check in? I noticed it ever since UA added that new "Contact Information" section to the OLCI screens.

Anyway, I get a text every single time I check in which says something to the effect: "To continue receiving text messages from United please reply YES." That's all it says. So I don't reply because I don't want text messages. Yet, I get a new one every single time I check in. I'm pretty sure the FCC would consider that illegal.

Is it killing me and costing me money? No.

Is it annoying as hell and needs to stop? Yes.

Just wondering who else has this problem and how you make it go away. I'm afraid if I reply with a big "NO" UA will take that as a yes and send me more :)

Thanks,
    Rob

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, this only happens if you actually gave your cell phone number while checking-in at an airport location (I am not sure if this happens for online check-in).

When you chose to give your contact info at the airport, it automatically checks a box saying something like "Yes, I want to receive text messages".

I am not sure how you can "undo" this.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this point it might be the easiest to replace your number in their records with one that does not accept text messages. Asking UA to consider your interests would only frustrate you and annoy UA.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reply to the message with the word "STOP" and they should cease sending to you. That's a generic word which every SMS gateway provider I've ever programmed against honors; it might be a regulatory requirement.

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting idea. Back late March I had to do airport check in because I was traveling internationally to a country UA somehow thought I needed a visa for...which I didn't. I don't remember if the chicken asked me about a contact number or not but it probably did and it probably pulled from my profile. I wish I could remember for sure if the texts were coming before or only after that but I'm inclined to say only after that. I delete them from my phone so I can't go back and see how long I've been receiving them for.

Also an interesting idea. I'm afraid that by replying UA doesn't care if the reply says "YES" or "bite me" and they will still be sending me texts. I will try this next week and report back.

-Rob

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd be shocked if you reply with the "STOP" keyword and continue to get messages.

Plus there's the part where they're already sending them anyways.

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BTW I replied with "STOP" and I got a notice back saying I was unsubscribed from United's text messaging service. Why does the initial message not tell you that you can reply with "STOP"? This is still an utter technology fail on United's part.

-Rob

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because they didn't bother writing that in. I don't either on any of my SMS-based tools, FWIW.

Then again, I've never claimed that any of my stuff was particularly friendly. :oops:

9. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW,
    Just checked my phone...
    The first time i enrolled in this program a month ago, the welcome message did have the instructions to reply "STOP" to stop receiving text messages.