Texas Premium Outlets - San Marcos vs. Houston (Cypress)

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Gaucho, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Calling the shopping experts that know their Texas Outlet Malls.....

I have 2 free days during my upcoming US wine road show. This free time will be as I land back in Houston. I have to decide if I will drive to San Marcos to do my shopping there, or if it will suffice to stay closer to Houston and just hit the Houston Premium Outlets which can be found in the Cypress area.

If anybody here knows both shopping destinations, I would greatly appreciate any input you would have... I know the San Marcos Outlets and they do have the plus of also having the Tanger Outlets right next door, so the entire shopping area is very large.... from my review of the Premium Outlets website, the actual size of the Houston Mall is similar to the San Marcos (140 and 145 stores), so leaving the Tanger shops aside it seems to be comparable....

Also, Im sure there is no scientific answer to this question, but... can one expect the Houston Outlet prices to be any different to the San Marcos prices...?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho

2. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get extra discounts at the premium outlets by joining the vip club on the website (its free) which will let you print out coupons for extra savings and a free coupon book you can collect from the counter.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done both and I personally find the San Marcos shops to be a little more variety in the store offerings, but in truth I never make it to more than a dozen or so stores anyway. If you are a hard core shopper, SM can't be beat. If you are already in Houston, that outlet is still pretty great. I go once a year on Black Friday and stock on my Joe's Jeans and Cole Haan shoes for the year. Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Traveller and Gaucho like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... am I correct in assuming that the Cypress location has only the Premium Mall and not the Tanger shops that are available in San Marcos...?? Thanks.

5. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like San Marcos outlets more, to me they have more stores and Better prices/discounts seem better to me, also like you said SA have the benefit of Tanger next door while Houston only have the Premium Outlets. But what I like about Houston outlets is that they have a "roof" over the outlets, it's still outside but you got shade walking to one store to another kind of like in Orlando near Disney World if you been.

Gaucho likes this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not ever noticed a Tanger near the Cypress location, but I also haven't ever really looked.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the additional info....

BTW, I posted something similar over on TOBB and one poster said that her sister goes to both these malls all the time and haggles...... I didnt think this was possible in the USA... is something like this customary...???

8. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    shopping always takes times :p but yeah it is quite a bit of walking, esp trying to find the store you like
    I forgot to mention about Katy Mills Outlet Mall (Katy fwy I-10 area), its essentially a indoor mall but with outlet stores, not as many as the typical Outlets but hey it has a/c and TX has been very hot:)

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... anybody have any insight on the haggling issue....? Im still surprised this is supposed to be possible in the USA.... :eek:

10. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um only at the flea markets, farmer markets and maybe antique stores that u can haggle for prices here in USA, u pay wut u see on price tag unless u have a coupon or there are sales going on you can pay less than the tag

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats what I thought.... but a poster on TOBB said that haggling was customary at these malls.... I was surprised, to say the least.... I will PM her on the other boards and ask for further clarification....

12. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally true, but I haggled a bit at a luggage shop @ the San Marcos outlets. Don't think the price changed, but I got them to throw in some additional freebies with a discontinued Travelpro Plat 4. Some smaller retailers may work with you, but I wouldn't expect it from most of the outlet stores.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good tip.... thanks !!