Terminal 4 jfk

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by deltagoldLass, Sep 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi from JFK terminal 4
    The terminal re vamp is coming along nicely
    No birds diving at my head :)
    Though I'd take birds over bats
    There are many inviting stores e.g. Metropolitan muse of art kiosk which is always a pleasure
    Security was efficient
    I've been moved "up"
    I smile as I hear a cranky child
    Happy on my way to SAn Juan
    Looking forward to seeing continued progress in terminal 4
    Keep you posted!
    Namaste

YULtide and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's nice to see what private ownership/operation of an airport terminal can bring.

As the rest of the world has already learned, private ownership of infrastructure assets isn't a threat....it is a benefit.

deltagoldLass and harvson3 like this.
  3. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who owns terminal 4 plz? It's an international terminal
    I was surprised to board from here for San juan
    But definitely happy!!!
    My next purchase
    Noise canceling head phones
    Suggestions plz for efficacy with good value
    :)

YULtide and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll just note that it's far from certain that the rest of the world has "learned" this, and the welfare benefits are a subject of much study. I haven't looked too closely, but the literature I breezed through indicates that airport privatization has gone well. Water, for example, might be another story.

Cheers.

MX likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...just check out how efficient and profitably the airports in London are run. ;)

MX and harvson3 like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh? BAA turns a very healthy operating profit. While the carriers may stuff up things - particularly in times of storms/strikes - the airport operator really does a very good job. Few fully understand where the lines of the carriers versus the port owners are drawn.

In a prior business, I was a lender to BAA, and know their business quite well. In the trough of late '09, their subdebt was trading at $0.30, but it has since been repaid and their entire balance sheet repositioned. The competition commission has been far rougher than expected (with some forced divestitures at inopportune times), but they (the private equity investors) have ultimately done quite well.

GIP, which is the majority owner of LCY (and several other UK fields), also has had a very, very good ownership experience. I was not directly involved with their investment, but know the principals.

My fund was an equity holder in SYD, MEL, LST, ADL, BNE and PER. All wildly successful investments for us and our investors.

We put in an indication of interest on ONT, but it didn't go anywhere. We did not bid on MDW. Felicity was bidding, and she always "bids to win," shall we say. She bid too much...won the auction...but failed to close. Oops. They had to pay $126 million to walk away from that deal.

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2009/04/midway-airport-privatization-close-postponed.html

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airports are very profitable (when run reasonably well). Airlines, on the other hand, rarely turn a profit.

The majority of major airports outside of the US have significant private capital invested in them. In the US, it is the significant minority.

JFK is actually one of the more privatized airports in the US. T4 was built with private capital back in the late 90s (opened 00 or 01, iirc), and that same private capital is funding the consolidation of T2/T3/T4 at present.

T8 was also privately built. T7 is also privately owned and operated; it was the first in the US owned by foreigners.

These are some of the nicest and well run terminals in the US (though a handful of others in the US are also reasonably nice).

What private water failures are you thinking of? Deals like Thames Water, Aquarion and Southern Water have all gone quite well.

9. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of Cochabamba and the Argentine fight with Suez, but I think we're looking at different parts of the elephant. Guasch and co-authors have some work on the re-negotiation of contracts in LA. Discussion for another time.