Tennis Racquets in carryon?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by ducster, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked out the TSA site, but I couldn't find the answer. Can you carry on a tennis racquet?

2. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even when something is posted as "allowed" on the TSA site, it's still subject to local interpretation and training. Given that items like screwdrivers and other tools greater than seven inches in length, pool cues, etc. are not allowed I would have to say check or ship it to your destination.

3. I often carry tennis rackets on airplanes in a carry-on tennis bag. I've never had a problem. I'm usually travelling domestically within the US. I wouldn't ever check them due to the extreme temperatures and handling. I've carried four rackets in the bag and TSA has never had a problem with it. CRJs offer a bit of a challenge in terms of space, but otherwise not an issue. Cheers....hope you hit well wherever you are going!

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once saw a female airline captain with 2 tennis rackets sticking out of her carry-on flight bag

5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info. It's actually for my daughter who's flying off to camp tomorrow and wants to hit!

6. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope your daughter has a good trip! :) Please report back on how it went, if you could.

7. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Left out of SJC today, no problems at all. TSOs didn't even mention it. I saw a couple of other people with racquets who similarly went straight through.