Tell us about SPG!

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Liss, Jun 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Liss

Liss Member

Status Points:
    Dear all,

We are posting this, because we are doing a research project for our university on the loyalty program SPG. We would love to get some members insight and this seems like the right place to get so. It would be great if you could answer some small questions!

- Why did you choose to become a member of SPG instead of from another brand's loyalty program?
    - What do you consider important redeeming and earning options?
    - What do you mostly use your points for?
    - In which category would you like to see change? (e.g. partners, earning options etc.)
    - What other extra options would you like to see within SPG?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint Liss! :)
    I chose SPG in addition to other programs to have flexibility in booking/staying at any given destination.
    The ability to redeem 5-nights award stay for the price of 4 nights and the relatively low points required for redeeming nights at very nice properties. Also, you 25% extra airlines miles on most major airlines when transferring in bulks of 20K SPG points.

Earning options are especially great for the high tier Platinums as you get bonus points and additional points for using the SPG branded AMEX card for your Starwood hotel stays.
    Mostly transfer to AA and once redeem 5-nights stay at a nice property.
    None!
    1. Guaranteed suite upgrades for Platinums
    2. Comped breakfast in addition to welcome amenity
    3. Maintain the current SPG point value

sobore, jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint.
    I chose SPG in addition to other programs as I like different hotels from different programs.
    I like the points and cash option and the fact that reward stays now count towards status for next year.
    I use the points for stays and sometimes for airline transfers.
    The change I would like to see is the same benefit given to Hyatt diamond members, of 4 suite upgrades for up to 7 days each upon qualifying for platinum status.
    Extra option I would like to see is the ability to use points for status.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    - Why did you choose to become a member of SPG instead of from another brand's loyalty program?
    I didn't. I am an elite member of three other programs (Hilton, Accor and Hyatt) and a member fo about a dozen others.
    - What do you consider important redeeming and earning options?
    miles and points; award stays count for status; points for hotel services; points for declining room makeup.
    - What do you mostly use your points for?
    hotel stays via miles and points
    - In which category would you like to see change? (e.g. partners, earning options etc.)
    standard breakfast for Platinums
    - What other extra options would you like to see within SPG?
    more standardization within the SPG network

sobore and marcwint55 like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't. I maintain Platinum in SPG and Diamond in Hilton HHonors, and Platinum in Hyatt (mid-tier). Hilton I maintain through credit card spend, and Hyatt only requires a few stays for Platinum, so my main focus is SPG. SPG points have significant value as both hotel points (particularly cash+points) and as options to transfer to airlines (usually at 1.25 miles/point in 20K batches).

Consistency and availability. For me, bonuses (Platinum Amenity, Make a Green Choice, etc.) make up a significant part of my accrual since my stays are often on very low (government) rates, so I earn less on spend. Earning extra points via the SPG credit card is very valuable, too - I use it (only) at every SPG stay I have.

Cash+points stays. Last year, before AA made the change to not counting transfers towards million mile balance, I transferred 60K in points to 75K in miles to my AA account.

Since hotels are often more expensive than flights (okay, good hotels), I prefer to reserve my points usage for either free nights or reduced-cost nights.

I'd love to earn more points, but I understand that if that happened, there'd be some devaluation in the program. I actually respect that it's harder to splurge-earn points because I know I have to remain loyal to see earnings.

Seasonal redemption specials would be nice... enticing folks to burn points at lower rates at places they'd like to raise occupancy.

sobore likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like most of the replies above, I have made the choice to participate (and in my case use as my primary program) in SPG, but not at the exclusion of membership in other programs. In addition to SPG Platinum I am also HH diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver and also a general member in several other programs. SPG is my primary focus, Hilton is my secondary, and the others are not generally a priority. I choose SPG for the valuable and flexible points, variety of desirable hotels with character/personality, and good in-hotel benefits.
    The credit card, promotions, platinum amenity, and options like "make a green choice" are important to me. In-hotel earning on spend alone is somewhat weak if you are not platinum.
    Cash and points, especially now that award stays count for elite credit.
    Somewhat better redemption options for the very top hotels would be welcome. Right now the value is incredibly skewed away from redeeming at these properties.
    Redemption specials would be nice, I guess. Some sort of way to get into cat 7 all-suites properties at non-insane points cost.