Telecom customer billed $2000 for 70Mb of data

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Mar 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://tvnz.co.nz/technology-news/telecom-customer-billed-2000-70mb-data-4756709

It was nothing more than any holidaymaker might do.

Wellingtonian Magnus O'Neill pulled out his iPhone while holidaying in the Cook Islands, checked Facebook and used Wikipedia to research his hotel and what tropical fish he might see.

The online checks would have cost him about $4 in New Zealand. Instead he now faces a bill from Telecom for $2000.

His roaming consumed a modest 70 megabytes of mobile data. But what Mr O'Neill didn't realise was that he was being charged $30 a megabyte, a price he believes was "extortionate and unfair".

http://tvnz.co.nz/technology-news/telecom-customer-billed-2000-70mb-data-4756709

uggboy, deant, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the term should be criminal. :(

uggboy, rwoman, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why my DATA stays OFF when I'm abroad...figure it's only getting turned on in an emergency if I do not have a wifi connection...

uggboy likes this.
  4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't feel a lot of sympathy for him as it is well known thru media reports exactly how expensive it is to do data roaming. Guess the lesson learned is when you go on holiday leave Facebook alone, get out and enjoy yourself.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Telcos should put into place measures that alert customers to how much they've incurred. It's not that difficult to make customers click through to a message on a webpage allowing them to agree to the costs. I remember Fido Canada and some German telcos doing it on their local SIMs.

uggboy likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from South America ... used 200MB of data (Google can really save your butt in some places, plus data usage is light when you pre-load Google Maps on wifi). Cost me $70 with prorated monthly option. Not cheap, but not shockingly expensive either. Considering I was in a couple of countries, getting extra SIMs and unlocking my iPhone to accept them would have been not too much cheaper.

uggboy and Toula like this.
  7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been in the news over and over again here, don't know why it keeps making it. Everyone here knows our telcos are absolute thieves when it comes to roaming. I have no very little sympathy for this guy - it's not like this is an unknown thing these days.

uggboy likes this.
  8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very unfortunate. The real kicker is data and text messages obviously take less bandwidth on a network than 3G data connection. Roaming "full fare :) " data rates are absolutely crazy.

That said, most carriers provide some sort of roaming data plan.

ATT offers 125 MB for 49.99 (this actually used to cost more), and while it's not "cheap" it's certainly better than paying per-mb costs.

When I go away (even to Canada), I turn the feature on. When I return I turn the feature off.

daemon14 likes this.
  9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this used to be VERY expensive (something like 20MB for $25, and the highest option was $50 for 50MB). The good thing about AT&T is that it pro-rates so the 275MB plan for $100 comes out to 9.16MB/day for $3.33/day, which isn't great, but if you're taking a trip that's less than a couple weeks, it can really help out.