Teh Penalty Box

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ssullivan, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Windwalker
    Original Member

Windwalker Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you have gmail, you can get a voice number

xFF likes this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go to voice.google.com to set one up. You can set it up with a Gmail address... or create a Gmail address at the same time.

Once you have a number, you can get to Whatsapp.

Sent from my LG-M322 using InsideFlyer mobile app

3. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I read in the pages above, I PM that number to @YankeeTravlr . Why don't I PM it to you, since you seem to still have a presence on this site. I'll get it done in the next day or two.

It's still baffling to me. But in truth, the Box was mortally wounded and hemorrhaging for a long time. The access/login issue was a tipping point, or, I suppose, a crisis using my medical metaphor. In any case, once a tipping point in reached in a dynamic system, things, well, tip over very quickly.

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, @YankeeTravlr admins the site, so she'll need to set you up.

5. YankeeTravlr
    Original Member

YankeeTravlr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’m still here, albeit not as often... happy to add you to the group, xFF.

(I did have troubles getting on this page today... oy)

misman likes this.
  6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy 5th Birthday to teh board today. Not as busy as it use to be, but it's still here.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    bmg42000, xFF, YankeeTravlr and 2 others like this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only hit the one in ORD so far. I expect to add EWR and SFO this fall.

Weatherboy likes this.
  8. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, and that applies to us old guys as well. Although recently I've started to get busy again, and you haven't stopped.

So I'm going post about horses. Specifically, about that paint that's already a week or so older than three months. Most of what I'll write is adapted for my writing today into her journal log.

Last month a boy horse about 2 weeks younger then she, named Sonny, and his mom, came for a 5-month stay. He is to keep Archie company, be a playmate, and, towards the end of his time there, let her learn how to deal with annoying boys. Here's a picture from a few days ago.
    720_ArchieSonny.jpg

More and more, it looks like she might make a bullet-proof saddle horse. A horse that has no reason to dislike people and every reason to respect them. Inflappable as the default state with a smooth gait with enough under the hood if a rider wants and feels comfortable to let her go. A horse for people to ride if a fall from a horse is likely to have serious consequences.

She's doing well, so far. For example, in that picture, look at their heads - ears, eyes, and angle. She's standing, he's approaching her, and she ain't givin' him anything. Yet, playing and running, they're best friends.

A lot of days, like today, the two are separated, and Sonny and his mom have free roam. This noon hour as I was coming home, it was well over 90. The two horses were shading under a couple of big oaks next to the lane. Sonny likes people, and since he's figured out that vehicles contain people, he's not at all afraid of them. Moreover, he knows this particular vehicle's occupant often offers apple slices. So when I stopped, of course he decided to come over. His mom couldn't care less; she doesn't get any apple slices, and she doesn't work for anybody around there. She's on summer vacation.
    724_SonnyMoonie.jpg

Sonny gets apples slices only sometimes. Today there were none. When he came around to the reach into the driver's window, he was met by two palms in front of his face. He knows that's final, but, as the following picture shows, he was none too happy about that. Without a lot of work, he's not going to be a stallion safe to have around people. But he's athletic and fast and pretty smart, and will be on the small side. Someone who trains cattle workers - cutters, ropers, herders - were to take him up, he might make a decent working gelding. Like the trainer character said in Seabiscuit after he rescued an injured racehorse from the bullet, every horse is good for something.
    724_SonnyNoTreat.jpg

9. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone from central Africa through India is going to be able to see the longest lunar eclipse (or, as the internet calls it, blood moon) for the century. Lots of people are saying this is the sign of Armageddon, or the Apocalypse, I'm not sure which. But in any case, the END OF THE WORLD!

I'm reminding everyone of this now because I'm not sure anyone will be reading this before Friday,. and, even though I doubt any end of the world event would not be directly visible from America, you never know.

The investing strategy for the end of the world is plain. Sell everything, and put it all up as margin shorting front-month crude oil futures.

10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, maybe too late to sell GOGO? :(

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  11. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Afternoon, web box.

cvsara and YankeeTravlr like this.
  12. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you aware of the new WhatsApp location? If not, PM @YankeeTravlr for mobile #, and she'll get you set up.

13. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Evening everyone. Finally good to be back.

cvsara and YankeeTravlr like this.
  14. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you aware of the new WhatsApp location? If not, PM @YankeeTravlr for mobile #, and she'll get you set up.

15. YankeeTravlr
    Original Member

YankeeTravlr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back! Most of us have decamped to whatsapp - let me know if you’d like to join the party!!

bmg42000 and Trustguy like this.
  16. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm over there as well. Figured I'd give a poast while the website was working.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the new ad-spamming InsideFlyer mobile app.

YankeeTravlr and misman like this.
  17. Windwalker
    Original Member

Windwalker Gold Member

Status Points:
    and you broke it again

YankeeTravlr likes this.
  18. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a rough job, but someone gotta do it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the new ad-spamming InsideFlyer mobile app.

misman, bmg42000 and YankeeTravlr like this.
  19. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    radonc1951 and YankeeTravlr like this.
  21. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate #fakenews stories that circulate every now and then claiming you can get an upgrade just for for dressing nice or flirting with FAs. While that may have been true in the 70s, its impossible with the bean counters today.

Dublin_rfk and cvsara like this.
  22. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, not many of us on teh board anymore, kinda lonely in here, but for those who are, perhaps a little airport humor might get a chuckle or two. Im feeling lonely.jpg

cheepneezy, xFF, Dublin_rfk and 4 others like this.
  23. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tonight just at dusk, in and out of the top of a tree line, I saw the beacon of a big turboprop flying or descending at high VFR altitude. My mind registered it as a firefly, then realized it was too high in the trees for that, then started to look for it, and id'ed it after a couple more peeks through the trees.

Coming from the east, could have been anything from Gulf platform crews getting flown home, to something scheduled commercial.

I suppose I could have looked it up on flightaware, but I don't know how. Doesn't matter; it was every bit as entertaining as a real firefly, and for a lot longer.

IDGflygirl, Trustguy and YankeeTravlr like this.
  24. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whataburger has a streaming ad out, necessarily regional.

This dude lands at IAH with a 55 minute connection, and heads for Whataburger in B to get a patty melt. He makes it back to his gate just as the door is closing. The agent says to him, give me the Whataburger and I'll let you on the flight. Dude replies, "when's the next flight."

Good story. Might even be true. I was kinda that way going into PHX a long time ago. There was a Whataburger easy to get to by going out the correct side of the airport, and it was on a one way street moving in the correct direction. This was back when there weren't all that many routes with the first name of "The."

But the dude in the commercial ended by saying that he was late for work but the patty melt was worth it. Good commercial, but lousy employee. I came away from hearing it thinking more about the latter than about the former.

For me, they would have been better off implying that he was a top guy, was going to finish his patty melt, and head for a club where he'd angle for an upgrade on his later flight by flirting with a lounge dragon. But not everybody understands what a care-free life GS-level execs lead, and streaming is for the young, so maybe it's better their way.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  25. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SeaTac incident got me thinking: with all of the flying we've done, frequent flyer behind the scenes things, and even simulator time from UA/CO over the years, do you think you'd be able to fly a commercial craft around without the training involved with a license?

I don't know if id be able to do barrel rolls in a q400, but I think id probably be able to take off in a jet if given the chance.