Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's, but doesn't get served

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, May 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's but is told homeless people cannot be served under 'new policy'

That's a new low, even for McDonald's, if this is true what the manager/supervisor implies as "new policy". :(:eek::(:mad::eek::(

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know:

Both she and the elderly man were served food after the initial dispute, and McDonald’s has apologised for the situation, stating there is no such policy to refuse service to homeless people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...nnot-be-served-under-new-policy-10263092.html

I now wonder how the manager/supervisor of this particular Mc Donald's came up with this "so-called new policy" he described to the teenager, she was doing the right thing. Good on her, she's actually better than most human beings would be in such situations, helping people, when seeing that someone needs help.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    marcwint55, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a simliar story in the news out here a few years ago.

Some one was standing at an Xway exit with a "homeless will food sign" expecting to get money. One driver stopped and offered him to take him to get a sandwich -- the guy with the sign asked if he could go to the most expensive (and best) deli in town.

The other guy then drove off

True story

DTWBOB

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that's the majority of people acting this way who are hungry.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are more efficient (for the donor) and healthier (for the recipient) ways to feed hungry people than to buy them McDonald's. Donate money (not random food items from your pantry) to your local food bank.

PS: did anyone really think McDonald's had a policy of not serving homeless people?

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's easier said than done, just think bureaucracy for example, not good when someone is hungry and needs it with immediate effect, in such cases, every little helps, especially for people who need it most. Btw. Charities aren't the most trusted anymore to literally help people out, too many scandals over the past few years IMHO. Overall, it's time that our elected officials wake up and showing some interest in finding solutions to stop the homeless crisis from growing, it should be a human right, a given right that people have a roof over their heads, have access to healthcare and can support themselves without worrying each single day from where their next meal is coming from. We don't need a debate, we need solutions.

Dublin_rfk, ella, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem donating money, even to a church it ends up in the hands of the controllers, much like our government...regulators.

I always plant a garden, and set out a road side stand with a sign free on it.

Many people do stop by,

On more than one occasion some of the local serves have given me an ignore look, I ask the to send so and so over, and you can see the attitude change, when the owner come over, and sets down,

There is too many hand outs in this world, we need to have more hands down,

No one will get ahead waiting for a hand out. I wish we could make all of us the same, but it will never be, each one if has different values.

vickers, Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different values are good, which lead to different solutions, but there needs to be some understanding too and building a foundation for "good" on what's best for a society. Less red tape, more direct help with immediate positive implications for the individual and our society as a whole. Interesting pointers indeed. :)

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is from China, we help her mother and family to a better life, charity begins at home,.

We send the money to her mother, and the mother help the rest of the family as she sees fit.

Amazing how everyone now loves and looks out after Mom....:)

vickers, Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  10. bobdelon

bobdelon Member

Status Points:
    donating money is not the root solution to the poor

11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, donating is not the answer. I much prefer the direct application of funds. Make / buy / give food directly to the affected person / people. It may not be the most effective or efficient method but it definitely reduces the waste and abuse of the government method. It puts a face on the problem and the solution.

12. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had something similar happen to me on monday. I was entering a grocery store and a homeless guy asked me for money for food, i offered to buy him food instead, and he said, no buy me a grocery store gift card for $50. I insisted that i would rather buy him food / groceries, and he got all upset with me and said something like "why are you treating me like this". I walked away.. :|