Tech glitch at State Dept. halts new visas, passports

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Switch2, Jun 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what happens if you lose your passport overseas?

3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short answer, DON'T. If there is one place that loves you less than the brick (UA) it's the boys and girls over in the state dept (intentional lower case).
    Late last year one of my customer's engineers lost his passport in Thailand. The Embassy (our Embassy) told him to just keep his hotel and that they would replace the passport soon! When pressed about a time frame the Embassy staffer shrugged and said it's the government who knows!:D 12 days later... This was due to them having security issues with internationally issued passports.
    This would seem to fall into the same problem.

4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got to believe that if you push, you'd get a better response than 12 days.

I certainly know someone at State that I'd contact ASAP. My contact isn't in anything related to passports, but I'd try to see if that helps.

5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you know that you need to push and where too.
    The average tax paying citizen believes that government is there to help them and hasn't (prior to the problem that that required assistance) had a reason for direct interaction with said government.