TD Ameritrade email offer Get $1750 vacation credit or $400 gift cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Emos-closet, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got this invite:

$1750 Gift certificate to the Ritz Carlton when you make a qualifying deposit of 1,000,000 or more

Up to $400 in gift cards if you deposit or transfer:

$250,000-$999,999 and recieve $400 in Gcards
    $100,000- $249,999 and recieve $200 in Gcards
    $50,000- $99,999 and recieve $100 in Gcards

Link with terms:

http://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/remarkable/home.html?uid=962849745

2. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like the offer, I wonder if you could churn money around to hit 1,000,000. rules say you have until 12.23.2011 to complete deposit. It also says minimum required funding must stay in account for 12 months. I wonder what the "minimum" is.

3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine getting an offer telling me to do anything with $1,000,000 other than to covet it.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to wonder if anybody with $1 million disposable enough to park in a TD account even cares about getting a $1,700 gift certificate.

sagefemme52, bez7 and paladin87 like this.
  5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Succinctly put.

I can't see..."Well, its not exactly the most profitable place to invest 1 million dollars...but who can pass up a $1700 gift certificate?! I'm in!"

6. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be that unusual for an American who has been working since the age of 22-25, to have amassed at least a million dollars in stocks, bonds, ETFs and savings by the time they hit 40, so I think there is quite a broad audience for this type of offer.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gather you're taking a jab at the fact that most Americans are horrible at money management?

Unless you live in a city with a very low cost of living and have no debt to speak of (including student loans, mortgages, car notes and the like) and have a good enough job to be able to save some money and contribute a healthy amount to a 401k, chances are that most working class people don't have a million dollars of relatively liquid assets anywhere.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a fact that "most working class people don't have a million dollars of relatively liquid assets anywhere."

But I would argue that personal choices drive that, not cost of living etc... Its personal choice that drives their money into cars, homes, !!!!vacations!!!!, and dinning etc. rather than Roth’s/IRA’s and 401Ks. Higher cost of living locations generally compensate with higher salaries, better access to public transportation and such.

miles and smiles and PhlyingRPh like this.
  9. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is not my perception of Americans at all. If anything, cultivating one's retirement accounts and preparing for the day that one no longer has a salary based income stream appears to be an American obsession and indicative of a culture in which long term planning is valued.
    Your point is valid and I suppose affirms that one's personal circumstances are the result of a combination of the cards one is dealt as well as the choices one makes.

However, the point of my post was that the offer by TDAmeritrade likely has a broader qualifying audience than it might initially appear to have. There is a large segment of the population preparing to retire in the next few years, a fair percentage of whom will inherit the estates of their parents, have good pensions, solid savings, own real estate, etc. Many would be comfortable managing their own investments or simply have experience working their various accounts for miles and certs. These are the people who would find the offer of a $1,700 RC cert appealing and be able to meet the requirements of this rather nice offer.

iolaire likes this.
  10. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am just wondering if you could deposit, withdraw and redeposit funds over and over again to reach 1 million. That is easy to do with the Fidelity American airlines/delta offer.

For example, if one had $110,000, you could move $100,000 back and forth via electronic transfer until you hit 1,000,000.

I would leave at least $10,000 just to keep a substantial balance as you churn money in and out.

11. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it is worth messing with large amounts of money just to get miles. I once had a bad experience with a brokerage offer. They were giving miles for starting an acount even if it was transfering an account from another brokerage. So, i asked to move $10,000 of a stock into their account. I had to sign a lot of forms. And i did tell they guy exactly which stock and how much. Next thing i knew, he had transfered my entire account including a very large IRA amount. It took me months and lots of calls to get it all reversed. It may have been partly my fault. I did get the miles, but never again. In fact, i got double the miles because the guy was so clueless, but still not worth it.

iolaire likes this.