TD Aeroplan Visa Sign-up Bonuses for sold accounts

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by BackSlash, Feb 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at my TD branch on friday and my teller asked me if I was interested in getting the Aeroplan Visa. I said I was one of the sold accounts from CIBC. He informed me that the moved accounts are getting the 15K "welcome bonus" but not the 2-for-1 short haul award. He suggested that I apply for a new card and let the CIBC available credit merge into the new account when they process the move in June.

If I remember correctly, the letter from TD regarding the move, was the opposite. Moved accounts get the 2-for-1 but not the points. Can anyone corroborate either story?

--B3

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't speak to points, but I just got an email indicating that a 2 for 1 short haul is available to me as a sold account holder.

3. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's odd, I have both letters (CIBC, and TD) in front of me now, and there's no mention in either of them of any welcome bonus except for the aeroplan reward lounge pass, and priority check-in/boarding and 1st bag free. I'm going to send an e-mail.

4. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    The word from customer service is that there's no points bonus. So I'm betting my teller was misinformed.

So, if we want the points then sign up for a card before the transfer is complete, and then merge the credit lines into a single account afterwards. When I was in a CIBC branch yesterday, the rep reminded me that CIBC is offering 20K points + 1st year for new Aerogold accounts whereas TD is only offering 15K.

5. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming that your credit score is not an issue, I think it's just cleaner to cancel the CIBC card and re-apply for the TD one if you want the full benefits.

6. allbrosca

allbrosca Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied for and got the new TD, but did not cancel my CIBC yet. Went to use the 2 for 1 award and was told that there were 2 there. I thought one may have been from the Aerogold Amex that I cancelled last year, but maybe I received one for each account?

7. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be consistent with what I've been told. That you received 1 for the CIBC card, and 1 for the new TD card.