TD Aeroplan Visa Cards and Contest

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Jan 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TD Aeroplan Visa cards are now out. And there's a contest to win 500,000 miles.

The main site is here, and the contest is here.

mtlfire likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contest only open to "... all legal residents of Canada."

Sammich likes this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm hoping we see a US card at some point. :(

4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps their US banking side (TD Bank - based on east coast) will come up with something soon.

5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess it works both ways. Finally a contest open to those of us here in the frozen north woods! Never (or rarely) much chance to enter any contests or sweepstakes from U.S. entities, so this one looks good.

(OT- Windchills here right now are -25C near Toronto.)

Sammich likes this.
  6. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    I checked the TD Aeroplan cards on TD's site, but unless I misunderstood the offers and benefits it seems TD has the weakest offers among the three (Amex, CIBC, TD) for Aeroplan cards. I was waiting for January to see what TD would have to offer... I thought they would have some good bonuses compared to the others since they are new in the market, but nope!

Sammich likes this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too waited to see what the new TD offerings would be, as I need a Visa card to complement the others in my wallet.
    Looks like I'll wait a bit longer as their new cards aren't enticing enough to jump in right now, and perhaps after a lackluster initial signup response, TD will up the ante a bit to encourage more new signups.

Time will tell.

Sammich likes this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at my Aeroplan account this morning, it seems that I am in the process of being transitioned from CIBC to TD. All my miles posted from my CIBC card have (TD) in the description. Also got 1 mile described as "Inactivity Guarantee".

I guess I will have to watch my mail.

9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, it's a crappy offer.

I got an email today from my banker about their promo. First year annual fee waived + 15,000 aeroplan miles. Crap offer.

Amex gold rewards is offering 25,000 membership reward points which can be converted to aeroplan on a 1:1 basis. That's 25,000 aeroplan miles for first year with also annual fee waived. Less income requirements too (Amex 20k CAD)

10. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also the infinite Privilege...$400 annual fee with only a 25k mile bonus plus 200k a year income requirement...

TD must think their credit card holders hate AMEX. I'd go for the Platinum card immediately.

11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are, of course, a couple of differences between the two cards. Visa is accepted in some places that don't traditionally accept Amex, and they offer extra miles on certain purchases. E.g. they are offering 1.5 miles per dollar spent in gas stations, drug stores and grocery stores, plus there are the Advantex partners who offer double or triple miles. And Visa is a true credit card, whereas Amex is a charge card. Of course, the wise card holder should treat all credit cards as charge cards rather than credit cards, but that's a separate discussion.

I'm not advocating for either card, but there are some differences between the TD and CIBC offferings and the Amex offering. Number of miles offered to sign up is only one factor to consider in determining which card is best for any individual.

blackjack-21, LETTERBOY and Sammich like this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should hope you're not signing up for an Amex Gold AP card with a $20K annual income ...

YULtide and Sammich like this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    This explains the co-pay on the long haul upgrades.

14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't seen the contest.

15. Alex (Easy Award Booking)

Alex (Easy Award Booking) Member

Status Points:
    I have a bonus for 2 points for ever $ as an introductory offer when my new card activates!