Taxi protests against Silicon Valley ride-app Uber threaten European gridlock

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taxi protests against Silicon Valley ride-app Uber threaten European gridlock

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slide you credit card and get hit with a $5.00 fee, by a third party.

Take the long route to the hotel and turn the AC off.

Sometimes you have to feel sorry for the drivers,

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why should I feel sorry for someone who's afraid of competition, and tries to intimidate politicians into shutting down said competition by disrupting traffic in several major world cities, thus making other people's lives more difficult? If cabbies don't like Uber, they should compete on the basis of service and price, not whine until the politicians shut them down.

satman40 and bigx0 like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly agree, but it's not always that simple. In most places cabs are regulated, sometimes highly regulated, by those same politicians. In theory anyhow, in exchange for this regulation they are assured more or less a monopoly. You know, the way phone and cable service used to be ;)! But now they have competition and I'm thinking that in most places Uber has a lot more freedom to conduct business in a manner they see most profitable. I can understand the cabbies being upset by being stuck with archaic regulations which they have little power to change. But change they must, or be left in the dust. And pissing off people does not sound like a good start. (Then again, that approach worked for the cable companies.)

LETTERBOY and satman40 like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are laughing at the cab drivers, just got hit with a 3rd party CC charge fee, should dispute the charge,

Also drive said AC did not work, noticed he had the driver vents on, so I opened the window, it soon started working...

First bad experience with a cab driver, he must have been having a bad day,

Most of them do work 12 hour days, and many get killed late at night, not the best job out there.

I guess you can tell we grew up poor.

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They can go work for Uber!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, I like to roll with the punches..