Taxes/Fees -Using BA miles for CX JFK-Asia J Seats

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Acker, Nov 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Burning some BA miles on CX. Booked 2 J seats JFK-DPS open-jaw BKK-HKG-stop-JFK Taxes/fees were $430/each. It seemed v high - but two agents said it was correct. Does that seem right? I have no problem paying it, if it's correct.
    Searched and searched but couldn't fine the answer online.
    Thanks,
    Acker

2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's about right. Remember that this includes CX fuel surcharge.

Here's an example from a dummy booking on ITA:
    CX YR surcharge (YR) $312.20
    Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) $30.80
    US International Departure Tax (US) $16.30
    US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
    US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
    USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
    US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
    US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
    US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.30

However, 430 might also include the 30 phone reservation fee. You might be lucky pleading that it's impossible to book your desired award on the website.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks about right, if you used AA miles then it would've been under $75...

The fees/taxes for the flights alone are:

CX YR surcharge (YR)
    $312.20

US International Departure Tax (US)
    $16.30

US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
    $2.50

US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
    $4.50

Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS)
    $22.70

USDA APHIS Fee (XA)
    $5.00

US Immigration Fee (XY)
    $7.00

US Customs Fee (YC)
    $5.50

Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK)
    $15.40

US International Arrival Tax (US)
    $16.30

4. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. After posting I went to ITA too & checked the fees. I should have know those pesky fuel surcharges would rear their ugly heads. What am I doing complaining? I booked a 16 day vacation thanks to credit card spend. I could have made sure they waived the telephone fee - they very well may have - but I was discombobulated when the agent quoted $430+. I thanked her, didn't book, and called back. Same $ quoted by second agent. I asked if she would have the rate department verify - they came back with the same amount. At that point I figured if they got an extra $30 out of me, they deserved it for the (gentle) push-back I gave them. BA doesn't send email confirmations over the weekend so I couldn't check it there.
    Yes, AA would have been only $75 or so but I had BA miles to shed...

5. Paiteaw
    Original Member

Paiteaw Active Member

Status Points:
    If it is any consolation to you, I paid $388 in taxes and surcharge fees for a BA award ticket in J on CX, JFK-HKG-BKK-HKG-JFK.
    I wanted to use my miles before the coming program conversion to Avios point, whatever that may be.

6. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update. When my BA confirmation email came over yesterday - BA doesn't send confirmations over the weekend - our return flight HKG-JFK was for wrong date. After a mildly panicked sleep, I phoned BA first thing and they changed our return flight to what it should have been. Whew, two J seats were available! Now to figure what J seats to nab - row 12, row 17? Time to search this forum for answers...
    Oh yeah, here's where I've got to fess up and say they did charge a phone booking fee - my bad for not catching it. Could I fight it? Probably, but maybe I better just sit tight and suck it up.

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard row 11/12 is good since its pretty much a mini cabin..

Counsellor and Tenmoc like this.
  8. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the flights I wanted, got the seats I wanted.- Conrad Bali has nights for crazy-low (to me) redemption (26K/night), and Conrad Bangkok/Conrad Hong Kong aren't bad either. Time to burn some of the millions of HH I have I wonder if Conrad Bali is a luxury hotel ghetto (I mean that in a nice but white bread way) but we'll find funky places to eat/visit.
    I've spend more time trying to work a weekend car rental deal than it took to put this trip together. Psyched. Off to spend (way too much) time finding the good eats in DPS. Thanks for the help

Beefeater likes this.