Taxes and Fees on Award Tickets

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by snfitch, Sep 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. snfitch

snfitch Active Member

Status Points:
    Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a way to check if the taxes and fees I am being charged on my award ticket are valid. The flights on my reservation are NYC to JNB to CPT and then VFA to JNB to NYC and I am being charged the following fees:

South Africa Passenger Safety Charge
    $7.76

U.S. APHIS User Fee $10.00
    U.S. Customs User Fee $11.00
    South Africa Psgr Services & Security Charge $9.72
    U.K. Passenger Service Charge $83.92
    South Africa Air Passenger Tax $46.12
    Indonesia Flight Insurance $30.00
    U.S. Immigration User Fee $14.00
    South Africa Passenger Service Charge $105.58
    September 11th Security Fee $5.00
    Zimbabwe Pax Service Charge $70.00

for a total of 393.10 for two passengers.

I fully understand that there are fees involved (and i usually pay them without blinking an eye) but what really has me questioning the fees is that I am being charged for Indonesia Flight Insurance when I am not flying anywhere near Indonesia? Is there a way to ensure that all these fees, including the Indonesia charge, are valid? Anyone ever hear of Indonesia flight insurance charges?

Thanks in advance.

2. snfitch

snfitch Active Member

Status Points:
    One Update: After 45 minutes on the phone with a reservation agent he informed me that the Indonesia fee was charged to me via system glitch and they are going to go ahead and refund me the money. This honestly has me significantly concerned that:
    1) the rest of the fees are being overcharged due to a system glitch
    2) I have been overcharged on past reservations.

It does not appear that United was going to refund me this 30 dollars without me calling in to question the charge. Shame on United and we should be extra careful when dealing with them.

3. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your exact routing with all cities listed? Are you on the SA via DKR?

When I quickly did a NYC-JNB-CPT, and VFA-JNB-ZRH-EWR, I found the following fees:

Screen Shot 2012-09-30 at 08.59.39 AM.jpg

Looks you got off a bit easy...

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No YQ on awards. :-:

As for the Indonesia thing, odds are it is just the code for the tax which is misrepresented. Every tax or fee has a two letter code (like YQ for fuel surcharge or YC for US Customs or XF for US PFCs). Some of them are repeated so the system has trouble displaying what they are based on properly. Usually the tax actually does belong, it is just a matter of them not displaying it properly.

Flyer1976, edekba and The Boat like this.
  5. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    But how about all of the South African and Zimbabwean taxes and fees, as well as the additional US fees?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What about them? Looks like they add up to near $200/person, plus or minus, just like the OP says they were charged. YR is essentially a YQ under a different name and also doesn't get charged on an award.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. snfitch

snfitch Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. My exact routing is JFK to JNB to CPT on SAA (Coach). Then VFA to JNB to LHR on SAA and United LHR to EWR (Business).

The united representative confirmed with their IT group that it was a system glitch and I should not have been charged which I thought was pretty odd and shocking. I like Wandering Aramean's thought that it was just coded incorrectly, at least I am hoping that. Either way they seemed pretty confused and told me they are not sure why I was charged for this and have set up a refund for the 30 dollars.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If I had to bet I'd say that the $30 is 2x Zimbabwe Aviation Infrastructural Development Fund Levy Fee (XI) $15.00.

I cannot find a complete, current list of all the tax codes (this one is out of date: http://www.scribd.com/doc/59283555/List-of-Tax-Codes) so the XI one is hard to confirm, but the numbers match up and it isn't otherwise on the list you're actually paying. Just my hunch.

HeathrowGuy likes this.