tax refund on award when credit card no longer valid

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jan 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called AA to cancel a New Zealand booking for May tonight. Since I booked this back in September, the credit card I used was compromised and replaced by a new one. I mentioned this to the agent and he sounded unfamiliar with the scenario, put me on hold while he did some checking, then said he would make a note in comments and that AA refunds would call my credit card company and take care of it.

Am I being too optimistic here that my replacement card, which AA does not have, will eventually get credited? Only about $20 in taxes in play here. Agent did not want the new credit card number.

daninstl likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your scenario is not rare, and credit card issuers will have no problem accepting such credits. If your account is replaced by a new one, the credit will be forwarded accordingly. If your original account is closed, the credit will remain there until you request a refund.

daninstl and tom911 like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No sweat. I was in a similar situation after I lost my wallet and 11 CCs in it, and had all 11 replaced. Even if AA does not have the new card number, for the bank the old and new account numbers remain one and the same. They'll vouch for you...

daninstl and tom911 like this.
  4. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also had refunds (from cancelled awards) successfully go through on card numbers that were replaced due to fraud.

daninstl, Counsellor and tom911 like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K. learning a lot tonight about when transpires when a credit card is replaced and sounds like I'm safe. Thanks to all.

daninstl and Counsellor like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're safe, but this may take quite some time more than usual. You may also wish to contact the original card issuer and let them know this is coming, so they can accelerate the process.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With only $20 in play here (a lot less than my Germany award trip in December where I paid $143), I'll just sit on the sidelines for a while. I've marked my calendar to follow up in two months if it doesn't appear. This was a on Hyatt Visa and I've had stellar customer service with them, most recently when they overnighted me a replacement card at home, something that I never would have expected (I can see if I'm on the road, but didn't really have the urgency to get a new one to my home). They also made the account transitions from old account to new account pretty painless.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had expected the miles to appear back in my account pretty quickly, as they have when I've cancelled other award tickets in the past, usually the same day. After a week, I e-mailed AA asking if the miles should have been restacked by now. Received a response today that there was a "system error in the reinstatement process" and the miles are now back in my account. Checked my replacement credit card and the taxes posted there on Feb 2.

9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out, especially so quickly. It took about a month to filter down to me.

10. Karen_nz

Karen_nz Member

Status Points:
    Love it when things work right with the big companies and we're not left listening to horrendous lift music on the phone!