Tax Payment with debit card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sma_15, Apr 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone ever pay their taxes with a debit card but also efile with TurboTax? TurboTax will consider a debit card and a credit card the same if you pay through them. Can you file through them but pay through somewhere else?

gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can pay through several companies but you will pay a surcharge of the credit card fees. The government by law cannot pay the fees do you do. Go to www.irs.gov and search for pay with credit card and authorized companies will come up.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad but true. You may also want to explore whether there is a surcharge for using a credit/debit card to pay your local town/city taxes (should you have them). A colleague has accumulated miles for years by annually using an airline co-branded card to pay his business property taxes.

4. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant more like this.... if I complete through TurboTax... do I have to pay for it through them or can I use payusatax.com or something instead?

gregm likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pay through whoever you want. Note the payment via the other service in turbotax as an estimated payment.

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use one of the services on the IRS website. You don't have to pay the moment you submit your return. I've done it 4 times. Miles every time. Just look for one with the lowest service or transacts fees.

7. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I can list it as estimated or pay after filing with the option to pay with a check but just use the service instead?

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how it works with debit cards, but with credit cards after the payment is accepted by the credit card channeler you get a transaction number that you're supposed to put on the top of your 1040. That's hard to do if you've ready filed, so my advice would be that once you finish the form and know how much you owe, you make the payment (through another browser if necessary), get the transaction number, and enter it into the TurboTax program before you file through Turbo Tax.

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice work around!

10. PriceP

PriceP Active Member

Status Points:
    has anyone had success with multiple credit cards? 5K on a AA exec and 5k on a Chase??

gregm likes this.
  11. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to do this after filing? Or does the IRS figure it out somehow?

12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least with Value Tax Payment, you enter your SSAN when you do the transaction. The receipt says that the IRS will post the payment to your account based on the number you entered, so if you're going to do this after filing your 1040, be very careful not to fat-finger the entry of your SSAN.

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've used different cards to pay towards one amount due. FWIW, I just filed my return with Turbo Tax. (I like to hold on to my $ until the last second!) I had to pay a small amount and used my SkyMiles debit card. I have used my card(s) multiple times now with both Turbo Tax and a couple of the payment collectors form the IRS web'plight'. Miles are miles!

15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    gconnery and gregm like this.