Tattoos

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MSYgirl, Jan 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have them, want them, will never go near them?

If you don't have any and never will, why is that?

If you have tattoos, are they significant to you or just art?

If you have a flight/frequent flyer related tattoo, you must post a photo! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the OP I'm sure it's my responsibility to share my thoughts. I do not have any tattoos, but I have considered getting one.

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    1) In the same category as drinking coffee, skydiving, flying Spirit Airlines, rooting for the Seattle Seahawks, shaving your head. All appeal to some parts of our population, just doesn't appeal to me.

My dad who was a proud member of the USMC had several tatoo's and they were pretty interesting though I seem to recall any number of them were the pinup posture gals popular with tatoo's back in those that served in WW2. I can say that it seems I see more tatoo's on females these days than guys, especially on the upper back and lower ankles. I find them a conversation piece ("Nice, ink!"), but not feeling i need to have one to exchange pleasantries. Likely never will, again they just don't appeal to me and likely most of all I'm not entirely sure what I would want to print on me to last all my living days. MOM seems likely, but from some of the reality shows it seems that MOM tatoo's are poular with an unusual number of people in our federal prison system. Could be my lovely bride's name but I'm thinking words speak louder than ink in this case. I could put Teddy and Frosty on each shoulder but not sure the Shih-tzu's would actually know what it says if they could read it.

I do like the Māori type ink that i see on the muscle guys but that alone likely keeps me from adopting that style tatoo. Somehow big ink doesn't look so good at little ink size (biceps speaking).

I guess that just leaves a tatoo on my neck or knuckles. I've eliminated the neck since I'm trying to lose some weight and hope that i can reduce my current neck size and i don't want "Upgrade Me" to become "Up Me". But the knuckles still might have a chance because I think "u p g r a d e (middle finger) m e" seems to fit perfectly on the ten digits i have as knuckles and since I'm not planning on stealing anything any time soon, chances are I don't have to worry about losing a letter even if I am visiting the Middle East or any other area that may be tempted to lop off a letter of my tattoo.

So there you have it. Knuckles maybe, all other body parts ... see rule #1 above.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I recall a wonderful cartoon, two wrinkled up shrunken 90 year olds in wheelchairs in a nursing home talking to each other. Each is covered with faded, stretched out wrinkled distorted tattoos, one says to the other "I see you were a complete idiot back in the 1980's too".

4. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't stand them.
    Thankfully, the US Military has further restricted them, nothing below the knees or elbows or above the neck.
    I actually see a business opportunity for tattoo removal shops.

Gargoyle, blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mother, father, and brother have them. Not I. Dont care for them myself.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not ever considering one, but, when thinking about it, I realize that I couldn't ever do it. You see, I have often seen bumper stickers I like, but in all these (many) years, I've never been able to choose a bumper sticker. I've seen funny ones, sad ones, thought-provoking ones...but never been able to say, "That's it! That's the one sticker that expresses who I am! The one I want everyone to prejudge me by." I think it would be that, in spades, were I ever to contemplate a tattoo.

That said, the bumper sticker I found the funniest was back in 1972, during the presidential election cycle: "Don't change dicks in the middle of the screw....vote Nixon in '72!"

vickers and Gargoyle like this.
  7. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only get tattoos when medically necessary. Currently, I have 5 blue ballpoint pen dots on my upper body. When you undergo radiation, they need to line you up under the machine in exactly the same place every day. They use a laser grid and the tattoos to accomplish this goal.

I guess some people have them removed after treatment - personally, I forgot about them until this thread.

I can say, they hurt and I could not imagine voluntarily having any tattoo added to my body for that reason alone.

8. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could never get a tattoo. It was drilled in me since childhood, as I am Jewish. I have family members tattooed from Auschwitz.

Of course, I know many Jews with a mess of ink on their bodies.

vickers, Gargoyle and blackjack-21 like this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm just an old fashioned old phart (mostly true), but why would a woman, one of the most beautiful creatures on earth, want to disfigure her body with inked on pictures of anything? What purpose do tatoos serve other then the artist's showing off their abilities to mark you up. The person getting one can make a statement in so many other ways about something then by having it permenantly imprinted on their body. Being a male, it doesn't really bother me seeing some tatoos on guy's arms, but why be so gross as to find it necessary to cover yourself completely?

A few years after we got married (and that's quite some time ago) my wife, who loves animals but particularly felines and we've had several wonderful cats over the years, wanted to get a small cat tatoo on her ankle. I talked her out of it at the time as long ago there was more chance of infections from getting a tatoo. No further mention of it, and I don't think she'd even consider it now.

I feel the same way about piercings that are inappropriate to me nowadays, not including for religious reasons. Is it really necessary to have a ring in your nose, or on your forehead, or a pin on your tongue, lip, or navel? (I won't go any deeper then that....!) Earrings for the ladies, of course, but long pins, numerous studs?

As I mentioned at the outset, yep, I'm an old, old fashioned (pick your choice of adjectives here*), but if anyone asked me, the answer would be a resounding "NO".

*Male chauvinist, maybe, but one who still opens doors for ladies, and treats a lady as a lady.

vickers, misman and Gargoyle like this.
  10. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You reflect my feelings pretty accurately.

11. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in a Wells Fargo Bank this afternoon. When the "Personal Banker" reached out to shake my hand I saw her tattoos and immediately dismissed her abilities and the abilities of Wells Fargo to manage my monies. That is just the way I feel and I doubt I will change. I may change banks, not opinions of this.

blackjack-21 and Gargoyle like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Was this her tattoo?

[​IMG]

BWIflyer and Randy Petersen like this.