TATL in a Lancaster Bomber for $40K

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by YULtide, May 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and blackjack-21 like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind flying in a Lancaster for an hour or two, but I don't think I'd do a TATL in one. :D:eek:

Newscience and anileze like this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We live about 35 miles from the Hamilton Airport (YHM) where the Lanc is based and have seen her fly near us on her way to the annual fair and airshow at Toronto's Exhibition ("The EX") every August.

While I'd jump at the chance to make the trip to the UK on the Lanc, still the fact that there's no lie-flats, champagne, chataubriand, or warm nuts served on the flight by friendly smiling FA's while I'm stuck in one of the constantly rotating top gun turrets, limits my possibility of being on that flight. Added to that the high starting reserve bid makes it a very difficult consideration. And since they already have qualified pilots and copilots to fly the bird without my untried but wannabee's valuable experience, they wouldn't need my unexperienced experience with them in case it's required.

BUT & HOWEVER,....if they call me at the last minute to say they had an extra seat available and would I like to come along for the ride as an observer......YES, YES, YES, when do we leave!!! (As long as my wife says it's okay since she needs the peace and quiet for a while!) ;) :cool:

YULtide and anileze like this.
  4. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, if they'd take some of the obsolete transport lounges from Dulles Airport, line them up a the end of one of the runways, and allow a strafing run with live ammo, whatever the bid is I'd double it.

Which gives me another idea. The bomb racks in that Lancaster are still in place, right? Where is UA's corporate headquarters? I'll teach them to devalue their points...

5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And The Winner Is........ !

CTV just showed the winner of the auction for a ride in the Lanc paid $79,100 for the honor of being a working crewman on the TATL flight in August. He's a 34 year old entepreneur from the UK, and he'll be on board for the flight, not above 10,000 feet, with stops in Halifax, Iceland, and Greenland. So the fare (auction win) will only be one way and not a RT back to Canada it seems. But he lives in the UK, so he probably won't be on the return flight, I guess, unless they need him.

That's disappointing to me, as I would've thought you'd at least have gotten a RT ticket for the cost. Good thing I didn't bid .:) :rolleyes:

However, if they're looking for an unpaid, unpaying, enthusiastic, glad to help out volunteer for the return flight to Hamilton in time for the Toronto Exhibition later in the month......! ;)