targeted offers...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tulane09, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you get a targeted offer, does that increase your chance of being approved for the card? Or does it not matter?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily. Some are just simply offers because they think you are a big spender. Others may show as "preapproved" which also doesn't mean that you will be approved. Credit card companies will buy lists of names and addresses from the credit bureaus that fit a certain profile or score range and based on that info alone they think you would qualify. However, the real decision will be made when you apply based on a full review of the credit and income and other info you provide on the application that was not available when they did their pre-screen. For example, if you are pre-approved but your income is too low to meet the banks standards in contrast with your other credit balances, limits, etc, you will still be declined, or maybe they feel you have to many accounts, or something shows up on the CBR that wasn't in the pre-screen, etc. And each bank has a different standard.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind ... Marketing and Credit Risk dept of a Lender are separate units. It is Marketing's job to increase exposure and get more people to be interested and sign up for the product. Credit Risk's job is to make sure the applicant is a stable user and has the ability to pay back their debt.

4. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My concern is too many cards with chase. Hyatt has mailed and emailed me multiple times about their chase card. Just didn't know if mailings made a difference. It sounds like no. Thanks for the responses.

marcwint55 and TravelBear like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many is "too many"? If you really want the Hyatt ... then apply & if no then ask the Recon guys to move some CL around or close a card you don't use.

6. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    since january I have personal and business southwest, chase freedom and ink bold...

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I previously had fourteen different cards with Chase. I would apply if you want the card

8. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think it can make a difference.

Put a "freeze" on credit reports a few years ago, out of concerns about id theft. Having little conventional income, have never been approved for a card I applied for, but never been denied for targeted offers (two - US Airways MC and AA).

As others have suggested, if you'd like the card then take 'em up on the offer. The only downside is some slight effect on credit rating, as one of the factors is how many times your credit rating has been pulled. It seems this might affect the credit limit of the card, but you should still be able to get it.