Targeted new member bonus

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by particlemn, Mar 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for an SPG account about 6 months ago but have not had any stays and i got this below in an email. I have been hilton gold for the last couple of years but the free award stay caught my eye. I have an upcoming stay in 2 weeks so i booked the sheraton marina san diego, but would like advise on what offer seems better. I live in Long Beach Ca and like to do short weeks out so the free night seems like a pretty good deal, are free night awards easy to redeem?
    Thanks in advance

The bonus is just the beginning.
    Now that you've joined SPG®, you know that every stay gets you closer to Free Night Awards and other amazing benefits.

Here's a great offer to get things going: Register by April 30, 2012, then complete a stay between March 1, 2012, and April 30, 2012, and you'll receive your choice of 5,000 bonus Starpoints or a Free Night Award at a Category 1–6 hotel or resort.

Check out, and then check in to, any of our more than 1,000 hotels and resorts across nine brands — including W®, Le Méridien®, Westin® and Sheraton®. Clear your calendar and start packing.
    Register at spg.com/bonusbeginnings to get started and book your next stay today.

2. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried this just in case and can verify it's only for new accounts.

YULtide likes this.
  3. fotosdelviaje

fotosdelviaje Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a new account (with an Argentine address) and I am not eligible. It seems to be location restricted as well.

4. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife joined SPG last Wednesday (3/7) and she is not eligible for the offer either.

5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had received the offer last year (link). The offer was for 2,000 points or an Amazon gift card. I actually never stayed as I figured that I could buy the 2,000 starpoints cheaper. I was sent another offer after that where if I stayed one night, I could get a certificate for one weekend night at a category 1-5 hotel by June 29, 2012. I stayed in January and am still deciding where I am going to use the certificate.

My Mother was signed up at the same time as me. Our account activity was almost identical (facebook promotions for points). She did not receive any of the two previous offers, but she did receive one today for 4,000 starpoints for her first stay or a $50 SPG award certificate.

fotosdelviaje likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over the past several years, I have seen Starwood make these periodic offers to members who do not actually stay very often with the hotel/brand. It obviously makes some sense because they are trying to gain some new business from inactive customers but at the same time, it probably rubs the more loyal customers who knows this is happening the wrong way.

KathInJax likes this.
  7. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting. I tried a few times in the past but never qualified. This time I did. My offer was 3k or cat 1-5 free night.

KathInJax likes this.
  8. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty new SPG member (although already burned through scads of points!) but I was rejected for this offer. Oh well, another day, another offer.