Targeted For Card Offers

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by PoorMansBidet, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think i might know the answer to this but how does one get targeted for Card offers? I rarely receive card offers except for institutions i'm already affiliated with.

Other then spreading your personal information everywhere how does one get on "the list" for generous sign up bonuses?

2. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    previous credit card history, for one...

3. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    but actually I don't think there are really that many generous sign up bonuses that are targeted only

4. a7800

a7800 Active Member

Status Points:
    After applying for a mortgage I started receiving a lot of "pre-screened." I received a letter saying that they were based on having good credit and that I could opt out of the pre-screened offers. I have chosen to keep receiving them because one never knows what the next great offer will be.

5. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since paying down a lot of credit card debt last fall, I've been getting monthly offers from Citi for its Thank You cards. Before that I was rarely approached by Citi, and always for an AAdvantage card. The rates and signup bonuses have not tempted me, however.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, most mass market offers aren't that good. I get lots of junk mail offers that are for far less miles or points that what I find on FT and elsewhere on the web. For me, the only exception was an email I received for the Priority Club Visa for 80,000 points. That one I jumped on (I was already a PC member and recently stayed at one of their hotels).
    So, I wouldn't really worry about getting targeted (unless you enjoy sifting thru lots of junk postal and email), and find the good stuff here and on similar websites.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you like seeing the options there is no reason not to look at them. There are some very highly targeted offers but most of them are fairly generic. The processes by the biggest mass mailers (CapitalOne, Citi, Bank of America, Chase, American Express, Discover) have improved in the last few years and mail volumes have dropped as response rates have dropped (the average has been as low as .3% 3/10 of one percent) and costs have risen. Targeting had to improve and it has.

You don't need to look at your credit score to have a good idea of the range. If you're getting solicitations for credit-builder and secured cards you have bad credit. If you're getting solicited for, say, American Express Centurion or Visa Black you spend a ton of money on travel and entertainment and have decent credit. If you receive solicitations mostly for investment products you probably aren't reading this post.

2soonold likes this.