Targeted EXP/PLT offer...low mileage requirement

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John777, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this over on TPG:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/ame...-accelerated-elite-status-promotion-targeted/

I think the DEQM/TEQM specials have been very generous, but this continues to dilute the benefits of being an EXP/PLT member. I'm especially surprised about PLT, as even their challenge would normally require 20,000 discounted coach miles (10,000 EQP).

I'm currently doing a Preferred Trial with US Air, and have been seeing more upgrades over there than I have as a PLT on AA. I understand they are trying to build loyalty, but making the benefits harder and harder to get just serves to destroy what loyalty customers already have towards AA.

jbcarioca, travelmi, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm bummed that I didn't get the e-mail... either way 25K would've been hard too. Just signed up regardless even though it was targeted and got a confirmation e-mail. Yes, I know... AA might not grant me the status even if I were to fly the 10K/25K miles since I wasn't targeted...

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great for some, I'm sure, but could make for a very diluted 2013.....would not be surprised to see posts here or on TOBB noting difficulty in upgrades clearing, etc.

4. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am torn on this, I like this promo because I will hit EXP with this promo. I would have hit it late in the year but this will speed up the process. The bad thing is right now as PLT getting upgrades is hard enough. Last week I had 10 EXP ahead of me and only three spaces in FC. So I can imagine what's going to happen with DEQM/TEQM and this promo. EXP will be the new PLT and PLT will be the new gold.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

jbcarioca, zpaul, Titans26 and 2 others like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you'll get more than one extra flight at EXP.

DL had a targeted promo fly x flights get platinum last year, where X was I think 4, but no more than 6 for sure. I had all of one extra flight as a platinum, but now have whoever would not have otherwise qualified in competition for upgrades. Thusfar has not been an issue but that could change.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Why????? ;) :D

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The impact of this depends on how many were targeted. I suspect the answer is not very many, hence not much impact. When AA first started doing targeted promos, they were pretty loose, they just thought if you weren't targeted you wouldn't know about it and wouldn't sign up for it. Over the past few years, AA has been very good at restricting targeted promos to those that they originally targeted.

jbcarioca, Skye1 and zpaul like this.
  8. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, sad I know! Sometimes they are the only option for work travel from DCA... :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you receive the email?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not get targeted but I did get the confirmation email for signing up. So we will see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. I'd guess they are keeping track of who was targeted, but worth a shot.

jbcarioca and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  12. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious what kind of traveler profile got that kind of targeted offer.

Because the offer -- 25K for EXP -- is extremely generous and risks diluting the ranks on top of the DEQM/TEQM offers going on now.

Perhaps they're the folks that have spent a lot of money buying full fare tickets? Folks that have just qualified for Platinum, trying to get them to 75K?

I can't imagine them offering this to members who haven't flown. 0 to EXP for only 25k seems unlikely. To put things in perspective, 25K is less than 2 trips (Chicago-Shanghai), or 2.5 trips (DFW-LHR).

jbcarioca and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  13. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    from what I have heard, AA flyers who have dropped over a period of time due to reduced or no flying.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I would think that in keeping with this, somewhere in the terms & conditions of the promotion would be wording to cover that only those targeted can reap its benefits...regardless of any "confirmation" e-mail received--as the e-mail simply confirms one's registration in the promo, not necessarily one's eligibility to participate in it.
    Most of the websites in which this is being taunted, including this one, do note that it's "targeted."
    YMMV, but I'm not sure I'd book an unplanned MR just for the sake of this if I wasn't "targeted."

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is 100% not true.

This will make 2012 diluted yes. But you still have to requalify to extend beyond the rest of this year.

The other issue is even those who do not get it after flying the 25k are already on their way to something. even if not honored.

jbcarioca and Skye1 like this.
  16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I would not book an unplanned MR just for the sake of this if I wasn't targeted. :)

17. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone who was not targeted but registered for this received double miles or a PL/EXP status yet?​

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying to EZE on Saturday, I wasn't targeted but did register. I will report back if I receive double miles.

AnthonyB1609 and jbcarioca like this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The lengthy thread on this topic on TOBB has pretty much confirmed that if you are not targeted, no miles. Best of luck to those still holding out hope though! ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Crossing my fingers..

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest way to find our is to see if double miles post a few days after the flight.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    You are very wise, I wouldn't have known without your tip. Lol

23. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the fact that your post was quoted, my post wasn't directed to you exclusively .

24. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Thank you.

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Back when AA grounded all the MD-80s, the elite ranks swelled with the DEQM promos. People lamented that it would be horrible.

I don't generally fly hub-to-hub on AA, and there was a lot more capacity back then. But, I didn't see an appreciable difference in upgrade percentage. I've always enjoyed near perfect years as an EXP.

Tenmoc likes this.