Targeted DEQM for FULL FARE BOS/MIA - LHR

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Smilee, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Smilee
    Original Member

Smilee Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a limited time, you can reach AAdvantage elite status faster with double elite qualifying miles every time you book and fly round-trip between Boston or Miami and London Heathrow on either American Airlines or British Airways on a purchased ticket in full-fare Economy Class or above between now and August 15, 2011.

You also get a 20% off coupon on any future trip to Europe.

Full details here.

KimK likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many will be happy to see AA offering a DEQM, but the fare class restriction makes this much more difficult to utilize then previous promotions.

The section pertaining to the 20% discount doesn't include the same language about fare class restrictions, so I wonder if you could still get it through the promo even if you don't get the DEQM? It does outline that the discount is only applicable when buying a roundtrip ticket from the targeted areas (BOS/MIA and nearby airports) and AA's European destinations only on AA metal. So you can earn the discount by flying BA, but you cannot redeem the code for BA flights.

Personally, I don't see myself using this. :(

3. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use this with the discounted I fares to LHR so it makes it a great deal for many...EXP numbers going up next year?

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The I fare deal has been dead on AA for about 2 weeks now though I believe? I know some people have recently found availability on DL, but the AA portion was pulled around Mar 16th from what I remember, or is at least very scarce now.

Not to mention the terms & conditions for the 20% discount state it has to be used on a ticket purchased between June 15 - July 31, 2011, so we're still almost 3 months from the point when you could even use the discount.

I'm not sure I think EXP numbers will go up. It's targeted to a specific audience (which most likely would qualify for status without the DEQM if they fly AA and buy F/J/full Y) that will most likely limit mileage runners. Unlike previous DEQMs, it looks like you need to spend premium dollar to get a fare class that counts. Most MRers are looking at the best CPM ratio they can find, and the fare class limitation blows that away. The system wide DEQM 2 years ago most likely had the biggest bump in the # of EXPs recently, last year's targeted DEQM in PIT/BNA/RDU a much smaller bump since it was region specific (but NOT fare class specific), and this DEQM is both region specific AND fare class specific. That'll cut quite a few potential participants.

5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even at DEQM, it isn't worth it for me as a B fare ticket is 1000 bucks each way and I would pay over 500 bucks to fly Y on AS (need the miles there too). I can buy a ticket from SEA that would yield me the same amount of miles for ONLY 956 bucks on a random May weekend. I need to figure out a way to do this cheaper. May is a nice time to be in London....

6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While the discount code can be "earned" on a roundtrip from either direction, looks like it can only be used ex-US.