Targeted 2 miles per $1 on all spend on CO credit card thru 11/30

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Bluto, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received in the mail today a promo for my existing Continental OnePass Plus card. It provides 2 miles for every $1 spent above $500 each month on all purchases. It lasts through November 30. This is pretty great because if you factor in the 10k bonus that you get for meeting $25k of annual spend, you are getting 2.4 miles per $1 of spend over $500.

I remember I was targeted for the 2x miles on retail spend earlier this year mentioned here. I moved my spending to to take advantage of it. When that ended, I was included in the targeted group for the 1.5 miles per $1 promo mentioned here. I boosted my spending for that, too. It seems like Chase monitors how easily your spending is modified by their various promos and perhaps it affects your inclusion in future targeted promos. It seems like they're experimenting with a bunch of different earn rates.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, still not as great as the UA MP Select card, with 3X on airfare, and 2X on restaurants, groceries, and gas EVERY DAY. I don't buy much else, or at least I do it with other cards that offer much better rewards than 2X points. The CO OP card and new UA Explorer card are just not very compelling if you already have some kind of elite status.

I think this temporary 2X offer is for everyone, not targeted.

3. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got my reminder that I'm in the promo for 2 miles for ever $1 I spend over $2000 :rolleyes: I was targeted for the other two also and moved spending over too. Not sure why I got the $2000 instead of $500. Haven't spent anything on the card since then.

4. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a great card, but is it still available for new applications? Or only UA Explorer, that has no such features.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/united.htm#content_select

This is the only link I know of that will take you to any information about the UA Visa Select card. Given the newish layout of the site, it does seem like they are continuing to offer it. However, clicking on the Apply link only takes you to the Explorer card. You might have to call Chase.

6. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems all roads (links) take you to explorer. I do have this card, but my friend wanted to apply. It seems no one noticed huge devaluation that come with Explorer with 2x on UA instead of 3x and no EQM.

7. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which other cards offer better rewards? The SPG Amex? I use the Travelocity Amex but I am curious what other better cards people use.

I wish I had gotten the MP Select but I didn't read about the 2x on dining, gas, and groceries until it was too late. Though, I think the old Travelocity Amex is still better because it is 4% on all spend, which equates to 2.67 miles if you use your savings to periodically buy miles from US Air at 1.5cpm.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    When my girlfriend and I buy clothes we use my Banana Republic Luxe Card, where I get 5% back plus a variety of other occasional discounts (I never pay more than 50%, usually less). Honestly, though, I'm a student and there's not much I can afford to buy besides travel, restaurants, clothes, groceries, and gas. So I am a special case.

It depends on how much you can spend. I still question whether it's a good deal to get 2X spend on amounts over $500 for a limited time. Assuming you had the Select card (and I have both, and I know others who have both), this would mean that after buying travel (air, hotel and cars), groceries, gas, and dining out, you need to have more than $500 in expenses each month that doesn't fall into any of those categories.

You also included a one-time bonus for spending $25k. Maybe I'm naive but I just don't know what you'd be spending $25k on in the space of 2-3 months for the promotion that doesn't fit into the above categories. I would probably use a Chase Sapphire Preferred or an Amex card (SPG, Gold, or Plat) to take care of any extra expenses, if I had them.