Target Prepaid Red card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Inspired by a post in the exchange:

Are there any restrictions on "transferring" a prepaid red card purchased in a store to someone who happens to live in a part of the country that doesn't have Red prepaid cards yet?

In other words, could I "motivate" someone to get me a card? What information is required at the time of purchase (vs. registration later on)?

traveler and Pizzaman like this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    "No", and "Yes", in that order. The information given at POS purchase time can be completely different from the information used to register.

That said, GOD HELP YOU if you (or, in my case, the US Postal Service) lose the temporary card before registering it. We've been doing the "5-7 business days" dance since November 1.

traveler and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The feature that I probably care most about is going to be the 5% discount (without having to sign up for yet another credit card).

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course! ;)
    The 5% discount on the Red debit card just won't feel as good, when you don't need to jump through the hoops.

5. Tweedy

Tweedy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got one of these red cards....canceled my bluebird. Are people happy with this product and how the bill pay works? I couldn't find a feed on this topic.

6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Tweedy, for me RedCard works pretty darn well, and when using the site, it looks almost identical to BB. I picked up 3 temp cards from eBay, we can't get the temp cards in Illinois, but the 2 different Targets I have loaded them know how to do it, after I explained the procedure. The instructions are on the screen at Target. I have used the BillPay function often, and, at least for me, it works well. I sent a check from my 'personal' Redcard account to my little company, and I like the way it looked and works.
    I don't try to move $$ out by paying off CC, or ATMs, I use it to pay bills. Real bills, Taxes, Mortgage, all those bills that won't take CCs. I like the fact that you can load Redcard with CCs, without any issues from Target. Only problem that I have had is Citi CCs don't seem to like Targets, and gets declined after one or two swipes, so I have a backup CC ready to swipe. I have had zero problems with multiple swipes with my Chase CCs. Perhaps a reflection on all the BB I have loaded with VRs bought with Chase CCs.
    I would suggest looking at TOBB, and Redcard, especially their Wiki. Lots of good info there.
    I'd like to pick up another 1 or 2 temp Redcards, but don't care to keep buying them from eBay. But when you live in a state that doesn't have them, it can get a bit difficult.
    Good Luck.

Tweedy likes this.
  7. Tweedy

Tweedy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. Sorry for the newbie question, what is TOBB?
    I drove over the border into Wisconsin for business and made a special trip to target. I registered it and am waiting for the real card. If it works as expected I will probably road trip again for the other "family members". I had the target prepaid debit card which I also had problems loading with my citi cards fraud alerts. It also was not cost effective unless working on a new card spend. I am excited about this new product :)

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    TOBB is the other bulletin board which usually remains nameless on this board.

Tweedy likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's Flyertalk.com. Not sure why some people have a hard time using the actual name. :-/

iolaire and Tweedy like this.
  10. Tweedy

Tweedy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for clarifying! Good to know I shouldn't mention that site by name :rolleyes:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been loading 10k per month (5k for me and 5k on my wife's card) for a few months now. I use the bill pay feature to pay off the credit cards directly. I'm going to get a 3rd card soon in my sister's name for a total of 15k/month.

Tweedy likes this.
  12. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which cards are people using to load RedBird? I've been using my United MileagePlus Explorer card to get United miles. What other cards are people using? Anyone using a cash back card?

13. PointsANDMiles

PointsANDMiles New Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to use the scheduled bill pay? I have tried to schedule monthly mortgage payments but it asks for cell phone # or email and the company I'm trying to send to doesn't have a cell and it has many emails. My "contacts" show that I have none so I'm not able to select a company from "my contacts" the way I would think that I should be able to do.
    Thanks for any help you can give on scheduled bill pay!

14. iflyjetzzz

iflyjetzzz Active Member

Status Points:
    You're selecting the wrong payment method. You're using 'send money', which you would use to send money to someone else registered in Serve ... someone who has a RB, BB, or Serve card. Let's start over. To pay your mortgage,
    Go To Pay and Transfer
    Go To Pay Bills
    Select Add Payee
    Type in the name of your mortgage company. It should appear.
    Everything's fairly self-explanatory from there.

Note of caution: Make sure you send in your payment with PLENTY of time in case something screws up.

Hope this helps.