Tapas and a great restaurant in Barcelona (BCN) - Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by dhammer53, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tapas

Tapac 24 has a couple of small counters (almost like a diner), and several communal tables. Friendly and helpful waitstaff. It's not a typical tapas place with loads of food on the counter to tease you. English menu is available. It seems high school Spanish isn't enough. [​IMG] We dined here twice. The first time we sort of ate safe. The second time we were more adventurous. This is a really fun place, and a short walk from Las Rambla.

Cerveceria Catalana was a place we wanted to go to on Friday night at 8:30. When we arrived, the place was mobbed. Always a good sign, but dhammer doesn't do 90 minute waits. Please note (as we found out when we headed back) that there is a separate waitlist to eat outside. FYI >>> No reservations). This is a tapas place that you want to eat at. Everything is on the counter, and trust me when I say you want to order 1 of everything. They have a 15 Euro assortment of 5 styles, some of which were better than the others. Interesting tastes nontheless. The Sangria cost 10 euros a pitcher ($14 USD). This was the best sangria I tasted all week.

Restaurant

Osmosis, it's easy to get reservations weeknights. Weekends are a little more difficult. Our Tuesday 9:00 (2100) reservation was made online. I was disappointed when we walked in. How could such a hot restaurant look so plain and simple. [​IMG] Well my friends, you're not eating plain and simple. We were presented with the 42 Euro 7 course tasting menu. This place was outstanding, as was the service. We were there for 3 hours, alone most of the time. Another couple walked in at 10:00 and sat upstairs. We sat downstairs. If you were to tell me dinner would be 3 hours, I would have laughed at you. Dinner was perfectly paced. We were comped a glass a champagne, opps, I mean cava, as an after dinner drink. Classy, elegant, and I'm sorry we didn't eat here earlier in our trip as we would have returned. The wine list is Spanish. The only problem was that the list was very affordable. Just a couple of expensive wines. When I get settled, I'll look for my notes and fill in.

All of the above are within walking distance, or an easy 5 or 6 euro cab ride back to Las Rambla.

techgirl, sobore, SC Flier and 3 others like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had a magnifying glass, I'd probably have "like"d this!

paladin87 likes this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, I just looked at TripAdvisor, and these are all rated in the top 10. I guess this means they must be good. :D

SC Flier likes this.
  4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. I'm heading for Barcelona this summer, and will keep these in mind.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a warning here: If you sit outdoors in Barcelona, be very careful of your belongings. I have seen many "grab and run" incidents where purses, computer bags, jackets with wallet/passport, cameras, etc. have been taken.

Also, the native and preferred language in Barcelona is Catalon, not Spanish. Knowing some French is useful; I find that basic communication, for example with a hotel maid, works somewhat if they speak Catalon and I speak French.

Spanish is spoken differently in different regions of Spain and the world. In US high schools, one tends to learn Spanish as it's spoken around Madrid, although in California, Texas, etc., Latin American (especially Mexican) Spanish is taught and this is increasingly true elsewhere around the US.

sobore and catgirl like this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was afraid of the Spanish/Catalon differences. Not to worry. High school Spanish was more than appreciated.

Speaking of 'theft' issues. Every website mentions how dangerous Barcelona is vs other cities. All I have to say is that if you have your wits about yourself, and don't dangle temption (ie a half open pocketbook that's facing out, instead of against your body), you'll be ok.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but I've seen a lot of people who should know better (well travelled) do stupid things at outdoor cafes in nice neighborhoods and then have items taken. Ever since the government cleaned up the city for the Olympics, a lot of people are deluded into thinking that they can totally relax.

It should also be pointed out that violent crime doesn't seem to be an issue. Money may be taken, but people aren't hurt or killed, and there's no evidence of weapons being used, but YMMV.

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, I'm a New Yorker. I'm always aware of my environment. The gypsies asking for money on the streets of Europe are just like the homeless in New York. They're to be ignored. If you want to be nice, I'd suggest buying them something to eat, rather than giving them money for drugs, booze, and cigarettes. This sounds like a good topic for Omni.

SC Flier likes this.
  9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    In high school in New Jersey in the 80s, we learned Latin American Spanish, that is, no vosotros and no Castillian lisp. Living in the Bay Area (where the schools also teach Latin American Spanish), saying "grathias" gets you some amused looks. The Spanish in Madrid and the Basque Country definitely took some getting used to, and the Spanish in Galithia was pretty hard too!

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did learn the 'correct' pronounciation for Valencia...Va lent tee a.

SC Flier likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a great city, although I don't think that many Americans visit it.

12. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great report. Tapac 24 is related to commerc 24, correct?

13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know they're related to Cerveceria Catalana (mentioned in the OP) and one additional place.

SC Flier likes this.
  14. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I've eaten at both. Commerc 24 is the high end place.... we had at least a dozen small courses. Tapac 24 is tapas, but not in the traditional sense. Everything has some kind of twist.

techgirl likes this.
  15. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick question which I'm afraid I know the answer to - I'm pretty much a vegetarian - did any of the places you visited have any sort of a vegetarian menu?

16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall, but I can't believe that these places don't offer Vegetarian options.

SC Flier likes this.
  17. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to BCN with a vegetarian friend (as part of a group) a couple of years ago. After the third night he finally begged off going to dinner with the group for the rest of the trip. He said that the places we had been going never had any kind of vegetarian option. I'm sure there are places that are suitable for vegetarians, but they weren't on our radar. It must be tough, because he said that most places offered some steamed vegetables and rice as their only vegetarian option.

TAHKUCT likes this.