Tanzania

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by kitkatjam235, Feb 19, 2016.  |  Print Topic

Tags:
  1. kitkatjam235

kitkatjam235 Member

Status Points:
    I got a Barclaycard Arrival Plus and have just shy of 100,000 miles. I'm planning a trip to Tanzania to climb Mt Kilimanjaro and I'm hoping the miles will cover the the flight; I expect it to cover the majority of it. I read that because of specific climb dates, flights sell out so you need to book as soon as possible, like 330 days prior to flying. Is there an approach I need in purchasing this ticket? I was checking out prices on Expedia and Lonely Planet and Turkish Air to compare, but I was wondering if there's a better site out there or it's recommended to call an airline?
    Also, I keep reading about people who have had their flight AND hotel covered, and as I'm planning a mini trip to Zanzibar in the middle of this trip, I will need both a hotel and a secondary flight that I'm not expecting to be covered. Any recommendations or card suggestions to getting this covered? The climb is quite expensive so I'm trying to limit the traveling and hotel costs.

Thanks in advance!

Counsellor likes this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a problem booking flights to Dar es Salaam and usually visit at least a couple times each year :eek:

seems domestic flights might get fully booked at certain tourist times but many international airlines fly to TZ now

booking accommodation early would definitely be a wise move

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to InsideFlyer, kitkatjam235.

I'm not familiar with the Barclay Arrivals card so I don't know what airlines the miles can be used on, but KLM flies from Europe to JRO. If the miles can be used on SkyTeam flights, have you checked on that itinerary (instead of DAR)?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016