Tangiers??? need advice

Discussion in 'Africa' started by estnet, Jul 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone recommend hotels (major western chains not so prevalent and I'd prefer local with a sense of "place" anyway), independent sight seeing, etc that would be okay for an older single female?

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has no one been there?

3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did, but that was in the 90s. Everything has changed from what I gather talking from recent visitors. In that era, there was no websites, and usenet was very ancedotal. I stayed in Ibis.

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, realizing that it was a long time ago - was the Ibis okay? Any insights from the people you've spolen to recently?

anileze likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ibis was Okay. My sense from people I spoke to is that bigger chains have a standardized service, very similar to what one would get in EU.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a somewhat similar issue when I travelled to Marrakech alone on my first-time visit to Morocco last year (although I am male). I couldn't find a European-based hotel that had an affordable rate, and was ignorant about the local mostly Arab-based hotels. I worked the system to try to obtain as much information as I could in a short time, and was fortunate that all worked out well (I stayed at the Es Saadi and was also able to arrange for an airport pickup with the hotel).

FWIW, I noticed that there is a Movenpick hotel in Tangier. Call me European-centric, but after having stayed at the very reasonably-priced Movenpick hotel in Aqaba, that's a no brainer. I recall asking the front desk clerk there how much a can of soda cost from my room refrigerator, and I was told that everything in it was included with the price of my room! :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014