Tampa International Airport, multiple airlines relying on honor system at baggage claim

Discussion in 'Airports' started by sobore, Nov 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/282863/8/Investigators-undercover-stolen-luggage-at-TIA

When you fly out of Tampa International Airport (TIA), you need to show identification when you check your bag, when you get on the tram, and when you go through security.
    Yet, there are few - if any - security precautions at TIA's baggage claim that deter thieves from walking in off the street and stealing your bags.

An undercover 10 News Investigator had no trouble parking in front of TIA's baggage claim entrance, walking in without a baggage claim check, and walking out with a bag that didn't belong to her. The bag belonged to an arriving acquaintance, who would have likely reported the bag "lost" to the airlines.

Read More: http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/282863/8/Investigators-undercover-stolen-luggage-at-TIA

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing insights, thanks for sharing, interesting investigation.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of airports do not check tags.....

chrislacey likes this.
  4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'd take it one step further than milchap and say that most (if not all?) of the US domestic airports I've been to have never checked tags. I remember they did years and years ago in PHL, but that's the last time I've ever seen it. I'm sure it happens places...but I think it's the exception rather than the norm.