TAM lounge GRU Comment , question and info

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by excelsior, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Comment: TAM Business lounge in GRU is filthy and overcrowded (in the evenings) and the food and drink selection are completely unpredictable. That being said it has a chap plonking away on a rather large grand piano while people crowd the aisles and sit on strangers laps. It also has mysterious little rooms where peopel do deals in hushed voices amidst the noise. The overall color theme is red.

Question: IS there a more surreal lounge anyone has come across.?

Info: All *G flying out of GRU note you can and should use the much better UA lounge. All *A non Gold flying business, if you ask and voice your discomfort the TAM people will call UA and they will let you in. They will not do it for non *A

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lounge is far too small even for the number of TAM flights that leave in the evening never mind some partner flights as well. Why they have that bloody great big piano in there is beyond me.
    I've been in it when it was quiet and it was actually okay but last time it was a pleasure to leave due to the overcrowding....horrible place at might.

jbcarioca and excelsior like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three years ago it was very nice, but there were 1/3 the number of flights. Now it is quite impossible.

4. heramato
    Original Member

heramato Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a terrible lounge. Better confort and food on UA's one. The piano thing is probably because they think it's "chique" which means A LOT for brazilian people. Even if they're wrong.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    So ive begun to notice... theres a lot of effort that goes into being chique though the result leaves a lot to be desired and one has to make an effort to not laugh1
    .Still this is the most good humoured place Ive ever been posted to, so as long as I only have a few months left Im not complaining....

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    The TAM and United lounges at GRU are both a pretty awful disaster in the evenings during which I've been there this year. People sitting on the floors or standing around hoping for any seat to become available anywhere.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horribly crowded but at least it has a shower, something that the UA lounge apparently cannot offer right now as it is out of service. But they will not let non-JJ passengers use the shower. :mad:

Made me quite unhappy after a day touring all over town to get back to the airport and have no options for cleaning up before my flight. I ended up running my head under the sink in the RCC to try to get a little better. Pretty ghetto.

ams30 and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lounge was designed and organized for five years ago. The piano player used to be quite good, the lounge was relaxed and comfortable. Sadly, as GRU traffic has multiplied none of the facilities have improved. I'm sorry you think we're superficial and obsessed with being chic. Some of us are, just as some people are everywhere. Some of us aren't like that at all. Maybe you've seen similar things at EZE and BCN? Are we really worse than others? Somehow that does not ring true to me; but then I'm Brazilian.

excelsior likes this.
  9. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    T
    It seems like in Brazil everything is designed on slow forward :) But in any case what prevents TAM from getting rid of the piano player and putting in some seating and some proper food and drinks?

On chic I dunno...but Ive been wondering why restaurants in Brazil refuse to serve large bottles of mineral water (agua con gas) On enquiring my friends aver that its not ""considered elegant""... But Coca Cola in a PET bottle is OK.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nobody can argue that Brazil public works are fast. I know nobody who can explain TAM either.

As for large bottles of mineral water, rare is the resturant anywhere that serves them IME, but I am certain they must exist somewhere, just not in the 14 countries where I've lived. Strange people who explain that with "elegance". Everybody i know dislikes the practice other than the restauranteurs, who get a much better markup on small bottles thus explaining the dominant restaurant practice globally.

excelsior likes this.
  11. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used the TAM lounge many times this month (to take a shower primarily before or after drinking some coconut juice) and I haven't .flown on TAM at all this month either.

I may be benefiting from the fact that I'm usually flying on CO metal (primarily in coach on long-haul segments) and using Star Gold status from non-US airline programs (even as I'm also CO Platinum) to get access.

UA metal passengers using US-based airline programs, such passengers are told that they should head to the UA lounge there.

12. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    So true!! all 3 themes! public works, TAM and mineral water....

but I have got big bottles of water in restaurants in the six cities I have lived in (New York, London New Delhi, Phnom Penh, Kathmandu and Cairo) ? why even in Buenos Aires when I visited last? On the European continent on visits I find they try to push the small bottles at you --- I insist on tap water when they do this-- happy to report in works, at least they seem to find a proper sized bottle of Perrier if nothing else

Have you ever seen anyone writing about this though? not me!

You must know more about TAM than i do, jbcarioca, Im starting another thread on TAM here. Please and please post also encourage your knowledgeable friends to post on it

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    To know is not necessarily to love :eek: I'll post a current interview with Marco Antonio Bologna that appeared today in O Globo as soon as I can translate it. He expresses interest in developing privatized terminals at GRU, among other places, mentioning specifically that the "sala VIP" is awful because there is no space to do anything else. An excuse, but also partly true.

As for water, still, we need a water thread. I'll start one now.

excelsior likes this.