TAM in economy - will I survive?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by OY-JFS, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am going to Rio for carnival. I have flown JJ domestic many times, but never intercontinental. The reviews and trip reports I have read, are certainly not impressing. Especially not with regards to the onboard service. Is it really this bad?

2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. I have flown JJ on many occasions. Last time it was JFK-GIG.
    I forget the plane, but pretty sure it was the long range airbus with twin engines. A330?

Y had IFE on demand, the seats had small foot rests (big for me as I am only 5'8''), the food is airplane food, beer and wine were free I believe, and there is Y amenity kit with tooth brush/paste, comb and something else I can't remember.

All in all it is an ok Y experience. Better than on CO, my carrier of choice.

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every day, countless thousands of people fly TAM in the back and do not die. Some of them aren't happy, some of them have achy backs or leg cramps, but they do not die. So, the odds are good that you will survive. I'm sure occasionally someone dies.

4. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear.....we're flying them in March, too.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    JJ in Y seems to be better than most US carriers. I am happy taht I have not flown it in Y outside of Brazil but the C and F are both pretty good. None of my family members who have flown TAM international Y have died yet. Many of them have repeated the experience. It could have been Stockholm syndrome but I think it is really fairly good.

OY-JFS and excelsior like this.
  6. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you alive?

jbcarioca and OY-JFS like this.
  7. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am alive. Maybe because I cancelled my JJ booking, and went with BA [​IMG]
    But since you have a nice and shiny TAM Fidelidade Vermelho card there, why don't you write a Y intercon trip report? Or do you only fly C/F?

jbcarioca and excelsior like this.
  8. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    errrr... [​IMG][​IMG] intercon, only J. My wife flew in Y once She said service friendly, seat OK, food horrible.

I was in J on the same flight[​IMG] (no! she refused to swap! left her feeling superior for the rest of our trip -- i got her an upgrade on return ) and they let me give her my dessert chiocolates and a glass (just one) of champagne -- i took them to her myself[​IMG]

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) Way to make some points!

10. always traveled with BA, I changed my last trip for the Tam , just for the loyalty points, but always JJ fly, the service is bad, very tight, food is reasonably, but runs the risk of not having the options offered, but the worst and where you should pay attention, is the rates charged, the fare difference, especially in economy class and the difficulty of making that change, especially when you purchase the Tkt at 0800 or website, yesterday I had a big headache with Tam You dont die flying, You die before ...:confused:

jbcarioca likes this.