TAM -- I want fare class G. Can I get it by phone? By visiting their NYC ticketing office?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by LarryInNYC, Nov 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a TAM flight coming up in Feb / Mar. It carries a $130 premium in fare class G over the cheapest available fare class Q. G will give me full earning in Aegean, however.

I have not found any OTA that will allow me to search and ticket the slightly-more-expensive fare class.

Does anyone know if I can do this directly with TAM by phone, or even visiting their NYC address (which is convenient to my work location today). Note: I'm not even sure their New York address is a sales office because even those it's listed as a ticketing office it has a suite number that indicates it's on the sixth floor.

Ideally, I'd like to ticket directly with TAM anyway since even their Q class fare shows $100 cheaper on their web site than on ITA.

OY-JFS and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any travel agent should be able to do it for you, including the airline's own TAs, also known as reservations agents.

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great. Can I assume that I can say "I want flight X on date A and flight Y on date B and I want fare class G" and a friendly and knowledgeable agent will immediately and correctly book the tickets?

Also, travelling with a friend who doesn't need G because Q will accrue fine for him in United. Can I book the tickets in different fare classes on a single PNR?

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, only vaguely related, if I purchase the ticket on the phone in the US, do you know whether the CC charge will be in the US or in Brazil (or somewhere else)?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In theory, yes. Of course, finding a friendly and knowledgeable agent isn't always easy.

AFAIK, no.
    No idea.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great, thanks! I'll report back on my experiences.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, I did call TAM and their agent was able to book one ticket in Q and one in G, exactly as I wanted.

Except, the prices she came up with were a couple of hundred dollars more than their web site, and she wasn't interested in figuring out why. So, in the end, I bought two Q fares from the web site and will get the rest of the Aegean miles I need elsewhere.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hang up, call again?

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was up against a deadline to book the tickets (I'm traveling with a friend who was, rightly, getting antsy about getting the flights booked considering we're going at Carnivale time). Also, I was worried about losing the lower web-site rate -- and, in fact, the web site price was even lower earlier in the day.

The fact is, I'm just not that good at this points-and-miles stuff. I do hope to get better.